Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: tuske427's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View tuske427's profile Entries: 310
Views: 63635
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (62): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

11-24-2013 09:28 PM assembling 11
Well, I got the engine in this weekend. Cool

To do that I tied down the front brake line along the crossmember, assembled the flywheel/ clutch/ throwout bearing and bolted & torqued the trans to the engine, then learned that I should measure the throwout bearing so it came back apart. Seems I'm within spec (barely) and shouldn't need a shim for the throwout bearing. Since I was on a roll I set the engine in the car on Sat night. I did gouge a few areas and scrape some paint. Oh well, I plan to drive the car, not trailer it to shows. I also mocked up the fuel line and installed the fuel pressure regulator and cut the hole for the shifter. I have the original bracket from the old trans tunnel that I'll weld back in for support. I have a few more parts on order and hope to get a little more done over the holiday weekend.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #290]

11-17-2013 08:46 PM assembling 10
A little more progress on the brake lines this weekend. I made the rear axle tubes, and the large one across the bottom of the car. I have it connected to the proportioning valve, but forgot to get a pic. Next week. I also made a bracket for the valve out of a scrap piece of square tube and got that mounted. I'm sure with this, and my brake lines there will be some interference with the inner fender. Oh well.

All I have left for the brake lines is the front tube, but I'll wait until after my engine is in to make that.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #289]

11-10-2013 09:52 PM assembling 9
Today, with 3 trips to the hardware store, I was able to finally get my tank installed. I keep ruining the stainless steel tank strap carriage bolts. They just bind up and break when trying to remove the nuts. Very frustrating. I also built a few flexible fuel lines with some goodies that arrived from Summit Racing. I ordered the PTFE lines and put a few sections together and connected them to the tank, as well as made a few of the front brake lines and installed my master cylinder. Between using the copper nickel alloy and the Eastwood brake flaring tool these were a breeze to make. Let's just hope they don't leak. I also tacked on a few brackets to the rear axle for mounting brake lines before I ran out of daylight.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #288]

11-03-2013 09:40 PM assembling 8
Today I had a day to work on the car. I was able to get the fuel pump installed after 3 attempts- kept breaking bolts and making a mess of it it's installed in the tank. The tank is now loosely assembled in the car, and will be tightened in after I add some fuel lines (still need to purchase) and clamps for the filler neck (still need to purchase). I also started roughing in some front brake lines using some 9 gauge bailing wire.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #287]

11-03-2013 09:39 PM assembling 7
OK, the rate of progress is at a crawl but at least it's still moving forward. I started assembling my in tank fuel pump kit. Now that the new mounting surface is welded in place I was able to realize that the baffle tray from the kit is about 1/8" too long (it hit against the baffle plate inside the tank) So I chopped it and welded that back up. Then the height of the pump didn't fit (there is only 6" or so of room- the "minimum" adjustment of the kit). So I chopped the end of the nipple off to get it to just clear. I've since assembled the rest of the kit, but I'm not happy with how little room is between the filter and the baffle tray. The filter is virtually pressed against it. I think the next time I'm in the garage I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the baffle tray to allow a bit more room for the pump to collect fuel. The baffle tray walls will still reduce the "sloshing" and its touching the bottom of the tank anyhow so I believe it will still be effective.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #286]

Pages (62): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.