Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 634
Views: 216126
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (127): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

06-23-2016 06:40 PM Hood
Got an opportunity to work on the 41 today. Not very long because it is HOT here.

The hood is about 10 inches deep. The shrinker stand would not allow the shrinker to go in that deep. So, a piece of angle iron was clamped to the workbench and the shrinker was bolted to it.

I rigged up a strap and used the engine hoist to hold the hood up and on its side.

After a bit of massaging with the shrinker, the dip in the hood center was brought up. It's not perfect, but it will take less than 1/16'' of filler to make it straight.

Next I need to ''hump'' the back edge on the driver's side so it matches the cowl. It is so hot, I don't want to work in the trailer putting the hood on, checking the progress, pulling the hood off, adjust the edge, and repeat. So I will probably get up early in the morning and pull the car into the shop. The Thunderbird left today so I have some room to work.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #634]

06-10-2016 08:42 PM Hood
Got the grinding on the left side done today. I think it looks good. All the vent holes need now is a little skim coat to smooth things out and put a radius at the corners and they will be ready to paint.

Getting very close to being done with the hood. Just have to use the shrinker to change the slight dip in the center to a slight bulge. A little raising, a little lowering, and then skim. I may do a little weld filling in some of the craters on the center of the nose to reduce the amount of plastic filler. We'll see.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #633]

06-09-2016 08:12 PM Hood
Well, between knocking things of the honey do list and meeting and getting acquainted with a local hot rodder, I didn't get as far as I planned today. That's OK, making a new friend was worth it. (The jury is still out on the honey do.)

Anyway, all of the pieces are welded in both sides now. And I am about 1/4 done with the grinding.

I did have one photo left over from yesterday. This is a closeup showing how the angle cut of the front piece compliments the angle of the front opening.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #632]

06-08-2016 09:14 PM Hood
The filler piece is tacked to the hood. The excess material on the top and bottom ''mounts'' are ground back to the filler piece. The filler piece is fully welded in. The welds are ground. Repeat 11 more times.

The right side six are complete waiting skim coats of filler. The left side will hopefully get done tomorrow.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #631]

06-06-2016 09:24 PM Hood
Not sure what I have done to the photos, but if they show up on your computer like they do on mine, you will have to scroll right to see them all.

Cut qty. 4 strips of 18 ga. 1-1/16'' wide x approx. 15-5/4'' long from some scrap that was in the drop pile. These strips were then cut into a total of 10 pieces approx. 5-1/4'' long plus 2 pieces that were angle cut for the lead holes.

The leading edge of each piece was folded over and cut to approx. 1/8'' of overlap to reinforce the edge and assure that it would not be sharp.

Each piece was gently curved to match the curve of the lower mount in the hood openings.

Each piece was fitted to the opening and a scribe mark was made so the excess could be cut off. The cut was made to the side of the scribe mark so the piece would slightly overlap the edge of the hood opening for a good weld.

Since each piece is cut to fit a particular opening, each piece was numbered to assure that any variation between holes would not be magnified by having mismatched pieces once welding was started.

I wasn't sure how it would look. Now that the pieces are cut and mocked in place, I like it. Now I just hope that the welding goes well and the finished product looks as good.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #630]

Pages (127): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.