Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 635
Views: 216310
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (127): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

08-03-2014 06:51 AM Interior Paint
With the interior panels well on their way to be upholstery shop ready, it is time to clean up and paint the interior panels.

The quarters never received their coat of POR-15 in the weld area. A quick scuff with some sandpaper and one messy brush session later and that box got a check mark.

On to paint and rust removal. A combination of a polycarbide abrasive wheel, a Roloc on an angle grinder, a DA, a spot blaster, and Evaporust. Hard, filthy work. I came out of the car looking like a coal miner.

The plan was to get the primer shot Saturday. The power went out around 4 PM and did not come back on until 7 PM. Hopefully I can get the primer on Sunday afternoon.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #585]

07-30-2014 08:30 PM Rear Armrests
Both rear armrests got two layers of mat about 1 inch wide on the unsupported edges. This is to add rigidity for stretching the upholstery over the part.

The bad section of the flange was cut off the right rear armrest. It was put back in the car. a section of fleece was cut and put in place. Resin was applied. a section of fiberglass cloth was added to reinforce the joint between the two pieces of fleece.

The left rear armrest received a layer of cloth with resin.

With the cold (relatively) damp weather, the resin is not kicking quick or hot. It went much slower tonight than it did when it was bouncing off 100. So, the edges didn't get trimmed and the right rear armrest still needs a cloth layer. But basically, the interior can be stripped and prepped for primer and lizard skin alternative.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #584]

07-28-2014 09:36 PM More Interior
Yesterday afternoon, the left rear armrest was trimmed and a coat of resin was applied to most of the inside.

Tonight after work, the driver's side door card was trimmed to fit.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #583]

07-26-2014 08:12 PM More Interior
The metal leading edge received the final shrinking and stretching. Holes were drilled and the nut-serts installed. The metal leading edge was epoxied to the original wood form.

While the epoxy was curing, the door panel was fit and trimmed. There is still some fine tuning to be done, but that may be left up to the upholstery shop. Time will tell.

With the epoxy cured, the fleece was trimmed to fit the leading edge. Contact cement was applied to the fleece and the wood/metal form. Once it had set, the fleece was attached to the form.

This side was done a bit differently. I learned from the first one. I used a stapler to ''stitch'' the fleece all the way back to the rear most portion. The passenger side will need to be fixed because I did not do this and it pulled away from the card as a result. Push pins were also used to position the flange created by the fleece above the rest.

The card/armrest assembly was installed in the car. Resin was applied. 14 oz. in fact. The fleece seems to drink it up. I will be getting one more quart. A gallon the hard way!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #582]

07-23-2014 09:05 PM Rear Armrests
Last night more resin was put on the right rear. This thing sucked up the resin. 6 oz. on the outside and 6 oz. on the inside. And it still has spots that need more. And I think I am going to have to put a layer of cloth on it to make it smooth and strong. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have bought a gallon.

I also learned from the other side. I had to pop some foam blocks in the right side to ''puff'' it up in spots. For the left side, the cap on the end of the wood from the original armrest was cut larger so, hopefully, no foam will be required. The metal upright was shrunk/stretched in the fore/aft direction. The left/right will be done when to match the card, not the other side.

Another change. Instead of foil, fleece, plastic wrap, this side got foil, fleece, foil. The plastic wrap was just too difficult to work with.

Almost ready to shape the metal upright.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #581]

Pages (127): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.