There were some spots that needed more cleaning so that was done first. Some grinding and then a wipe down with acetone.
I went with HyTech sales Aqua Prime primer and Sound Control heat and sound deadening. A bed liner type gun was purchased for the Sound Control but I was hoping the primer would go through a standard gun. When the can was opened, it was obvious that wasn't going to work.
As luck would have it, HF has a killer little roller and pan set for less than $2! A disposable brush and the primer was going on. While the coverage is complete, you can see in the photos that some areas are see through. I think I will second coat before spraying on the Sound Control.
With the interior panels well on their way to be upholstery shop ready, it is time to clean up and paint the interior panels.
The quarters never received their coat of POR-15 in the weld area. A quick scuff with some sandpaper and one messy brush session later and that box got a check mark.
On to paint and rust removal. A combination of a polycarbide abrasive wheel, a Roloc on an angle grinder, a DA, a spot blaster, and Evaporust. Hard, filthy work. I came out of the car looking like a coal miner.
The plan was to get the primer shot Saturday. The power went out around 4 PM and did not come back on until 7 PM. Hopefully I can get the primer on Sunday afternoon.
Both rear armrests got two layers of mat about 1 inch wide on the unsupported edges. This is to add rigidity for stretching the upholstery over the part.
The bad section of the flange was cut off the right rear armrest. It was put back in the car. a section of fleece was cut and put in place. Resin was applied. a section of fiberglass cloth was added to reinforce the joint between the two pieces of fleece.
The left rear armrest received a layer of cloth with resin.
With the cold (relatively) damp weather, the resin is not kicking quick or hot. It went much slower tonight than it did when it was bouncing off 100. So, the edges didn't get trimmed and the right rear armrest still needs a cloth layer. But basically, the interior can be stripped and prepped for primer and lizard skin alternative.
The metal leading edge received the final shrinking and stretching. Holes were drilled and the nut-serts installed. The metal leading edge was epoxied to the original wood form.
While the epoxy was curing, the door panel was fit and trimmed. There is still some fine tuning to be done, but that may be left up to the upholstery shop. Time will tell.
With the epoxy cured, the fleece was trimmed to fit the leading edge. Contact cement was applied to the fleece and the wood/metal form. Once it had set, the fleece was attached to the form.
This side was done a bit differently. I learned from the first one. I used a stapler to ''stitch'' the fleece all the way back to the rear most portion. The passenger side will need to be fixed because I did not do this and it pulled away from the card as a result. Push pins were also used to position the flange created by the fleece above the rest.
The card/armrest assembly was installed in the car. Resin was applied. 14 oz. in fact. The fleece seems to drink it up. I will be getting one more quart. A gallon the hard way!