The metal leading edge received the final shrinking and stretching. Holes were drilled and the nut-serts installed. The metal leading edge was epoxied to the original wood form.
While the epoxy was curing, the door panel was fit and trimmed. There is still some fine tuning to be done, but that may be left up to the upholstery shop. Time will tell.
With the epoxy cured, the fleece was trimmed to fit the leading edge. Contact cement was applied to the fleece and the wood/metal form. Once it had set, the fleece was attached to the form.
This side was done a bit differently. I learned from the first one. I used a stapler to ''stitch'' the fleece all the way back to the rear most portion. The passenger side will need to be fixed because I did not do this and it pulled away from the card as a result. Push pins were also used to position the flange created by the fleece above the rest.
The card/armrest assembly was installed in the car. Resin was applied. 14 oz. in fact. The fleece seems to drink it up. I will be getting one more quart. A gallon the hard way!
Last night more resin was put on the right rear. This thing sucked up the resin. 6 oz. on the outside and 6 oz. on the inside. And it still has spots that need more. And I think I am going to have to put a layer of cloth on it to make it smooth and strong. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have bought a gallon.
I also learned from the other side. I had to pop some foam blocks in the right side to ''puff'' it up in spots. For the left side, the cap on the end of the wood from the original armrest was cut larger so, hopefully, no foam will be required. The metal upright was shrunk/stretched in the fore/aft direction. The left/right will be done when to match the card, not the other side.
Another change. Instead of foil, fleece, plastic wrap, this side got foil, fleece, foil. The plastic wrap was just too difficult to work with.
The wheel house was covered with aluminum foil. Then a layer of fleece was fitted to space the final piece away from the wheel house so a pad can be added to prevent the armrest from rubbing on the wheel house. Finally a layer of plastic wrap was applied.
A piece of fleece was contact cemented to the upright of the armrest frame. It was stretch and stapled to the wood and then installed on the card. The entire assembly was then installed in the car.
The fleece was stretched and resin was applied. Unfortunately, the fleece really sucked up the resin and I ran out of time before I could completely cover the outside.
We are in for some really hot weather, so I am not sure when I will be able to finish the resin work and move on to the other side.
The panels were all popped off. The bottoms of the door panels were trimmed based on the line drawn just above the rocker ''hump.'' A coat of landau top adhesive was applied to the backs of the panels and plain sheets. Once dry the panels were placed on the plain sheet sections. After rolling out with a laminate roller, the rear panels were trimmed.
I decided to chop up the original armrests which were falling apart. The three pieces of wood in the original panel was my quest. After peeling off the old material and padding, the wood piece was inspected. The three pieces which make up the wood were in good shape but the glue holding them together had all but given up. They were separated, cleaned a little, glued, and stapled. A PVC piece was made and used to cover the the opening for the ash tray.
The metal angle for the leading edge was shrunk and stretched to form the leading edge of the armrest. It was drilled for nut-serts. Once all the nut-serts were in, The metal angle was epoxied to the