Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 592
Views: 160549
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119

07-13-2013 10:00 PM More Lead Work
I had 6 items I wanted to get leaded today. I managed to get 2 of them done.

The opening of the EMS roll pan had a much more pronounced radius over the stock opening. I wanted to square them up on the sides to better match the stock opening. I also filled the low spots while I was at it. Hopefully these two areas are the most difficult and time consuming. The first thing that has to be done is grind the protective coating off the panel. The tinning butter won't stick to whatever it is that coats the panels to prevent rust. It is either galvanizing or aluminizing. Regardless, solder just turns brown if there is any left on the panel. After leading and paddling, it is difficult to file due to the taillight mounting area and the compound curves.

I still have the trunk lid, right lower cowl (more surface grinding to get the solder to stick), and both front fender tops.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #522]

07-06-2013 08:53 PM Gapping and Leading
The trunk lid is gapped. I still need to do some lead work on the trunk and the opening. The trunk weather strip is in place in this photo.

Since I want to get the interior stripped and primed before I put the car on the rotisserie, I decided to lead the drip rail. After a thorough cleaning, the tinning butter was spread, heated, and wiped. Carb cleaner to remove the residue and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Spread the lead. File the lead. Ready for primer.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #521]

07-04-2013 11:10 PM Trunk Lid
Mounted the trunk lid. I did not fit at all. One of the first things which needed done was to round the corners off. The original opening was squared off in the corners. The replacement roll pan has rounded corners.

Once it was centered up as good as possible, the sides were marked for grinding. Tacks were put in every two inches. Then the tacks were slowly connected with weld. A little at a time, cooled with a blow gun, jumping around, etc.

Grinding to set the gaps will be next. Then the top and bottom.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #520]

07-01-2013 09:39 PM Right Rear Fender
Before starting on the trunk lid, I wanted to fix a problem with the fender. My concern was that the fix might throw the trunk lid off, so it needed fixed first.

The left fender fits great. The right one doesn't fit well. The roll pan "kicks out" at about floor level. Some of it could be fixed by moving the fender back a little but that creates new problems at the front. So, I ran a cut up to the floor in the inner wheel housing at the back. A hold down strap was attached to the tail light opening and the rear axle. Cranking the ratchet and heating the inner wheel house pulled it forward just enough. A quick weld and grind job and the fender fits a lot better.

I pulled the trunk lid off the shelf and removed the layers of paint. It is ready for some lead work and then gap fitting.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #519]

06-29-2013 09:49 PM Passenger Door
Pulled the door and ground the leading edge down 2 inches at a time, tack welding every two inches to keep the skin from completely detaching.

While the door was off, I filled the hole I made where I tried to use the braided stainless wire loom. The hole was cut for the contact strip.

I also cleaned up the modification to the lower cowl.

The wiring harness for the door was completed.

The door went back on the car for final marking. Then back off for grinding. Finally, back on for photo. The trunk lid is next.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #518]

Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.