Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 604
Views: 165310
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121

07-29-2013 10:01 PM Leading the Front Fenders
Almost got both front fenders leaded after work today.

Cleaned them. Tinned them. Leaded them. Filed them. The left side still needs some file work but I ran out of time. The right side is not perfect but some filler will finish it up.

Hopefully I can get the right lower cowl done as well as finish the filing on the left fender the next time I work on it.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #524]

07-27-2013 10:41 PM Leaded the Trunk Lid
Weather and home improvement projects. It's been two weeks since I worked on the car and the next two weekends are tied up as well.

I finished the gaps at the bottom on each side. After the sides of the pan were squared up, the gaps were a little tight in the bottom couple of inches. So, grind weld grind.

Once the gaps were done, on to the leading. The lower left corner had a light crease in it I could not get to go away. There was a small dent to the right of the license plate which could not be reached from the back side. The trunk lock hole filler and the area around the frenching box needed a little filler as well.

At the end of the day, I did not get to the front fenders or the right lower cowl. Once they are done, the lead work will be done.

The trunk lid will still require a filling primer to work out some of the imperfections. I did not want to make up all the ''dips'' with ''plastic'' for fear slamming the trunk lid would pop out a chunk.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #523]

07-13-2013 10:00 PM More Lead Work
I had 6 items I wanted to get leaded today. I managed to get 2 of them done.

The opening of the EMS roll pan had a much more pronounced radius over the stock opening. I wanted to square them up on the sides to better match the stock opening. I also filled the low spots while I was at it. Hopefully these two areas are the most difficult and time consuming. The first thing that has to be done is grind the protective coating off the panel. The tinning butter won't stick to whatever it is that coats the panels to prevent rust. It is either galvanizing or aluminizing. Regardless, solder just turns brown if there is any left on the panel. After leading and paddling, it is difficult to file due to the taillight mounting area and the compound curves.

I still have the trunk lid, right lower cowl (more surface grinding to get the solder to stick), and both front fender tops.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #522]

07-06-2013 08:53 PM Gapping and Leading
The trunk lid is gapped. I still need to do some lead work on the trunk and the opening. The trunk weather strip is in place in this photo.

Since I want to get the interior stripped and primed before I put the car on the rotisserie, I decided to lead the drip rail. After a thorough cleaning, the tinning butter was spread, heated, and wiped. Carb cleaner to remove the residue and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Spread the lead. File the lead. Ready for primer.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #521]

07-04-2013 11:10 PM Trunk Lid
Mounted the trunk lid. I did not fit at all. One of the first things which needed done was to round the corners off. The original opening was squared off in the corners. The replacement roll pan has rounded corners.

Once it was centered up as good as possible, the sides were marked for grinding. Tacks were put in every two inches. Then the tacks were slowly connected with weld. A little at a time, cooled with a blow gun, jumping around, etc.

Grinding to set the gaps will be next. Then the top and bottom.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #520]

Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.