Over the weekend, the thought occurred to me that the car is not ready for a rebuilt engine and transmission. The chassis should be assembled so the engine can be started and the transmission checked. In order to do that, the frame and other components need to be powder-coated. There are some holes in the frame which need to be filled. The body has to come off. For the protection of the chassis, the next time the body goes back on should be the last time. That means the underside needs to be prepped and the bed liner sprayed on. The right front fender needs to be cleaned and primed and all the fenders need to be finished at least to the ''ready for high build primer'' state. And, if I am going to be intellectually honest, the hood needs to be done before the fenders. So, I set a goal that by the end of the week hood and right front fender would at least be ready for primer.
Saga of the 1941's hood:
The PO had made the hood one piece. Not sure if it was from the welding or the storage, but the hood flared out bad at the cowl. The filler is also cracking.
Hood number 2 was purchased off fleabay. The bus line it was shipped on managed to lose it.
Hood number 3 was purchased off fleabay. It arrived! Not sure if the dents were in it before or during shipment, but there they were.
Hood number 4 was purchased at a swap meet. It is actually pretty nice.
So, the plan is to modify hood number 3. That way, if I screw it up, I can put hood number 4 on the car as a two piece.
I'm not sure what this hood had on it but, like the underside of the fenders, this stuff just doesn't want to come off. I spent quite a bit of time with the hammer and dolly working on the dents and the grinders and DA removing rust and whatever it is. Weather permitting, I will do some minimal blasting tomorrow and begin the welding process. 50 holes need to be filled. 12 panels need to be made and welded into the side openings. And last, but by no means least, the two halves need to be joined. I am contemplating peaking it as well. I am a glutton for punishment.
With the transmission shopping list complete, attention shifted to the engine.
This was supposed to be a 350 Goodwrench crate engine with 30K - 40K on it. When the intake was pulled, it was evident there was a lot of coked oil on the underside of the head, particularly in the heat riser area. When the timing cover was pulled in order to assure the front of the block was drilled and tapped for the cam plate, it was evident the timing chain had a lot of wear. Those two indicators combined with the fact that this engine has sat for 8 years, lead me to the decision to rebuild. The cylinder walls and bottom end don't look that bad. So I think it was more a matter of long periods of slow driving, idling, and poor maintenance that gave the wore out appearance. I suspect the ''mud'' is still plopping out of the water jackets. What a mess.
Hopefully the block will go to the machine shop next week for cleaning and inspecting. I assume it will still end up 30 over. I already have an Edelbrock 2209 roller along with GM lifters, dog bones, spider, and cam plate. I have pretty much decided on aluminum heads. Nothing radical, just a strong street engine.
Bet Y'all thought I fell off the face of the earth? I came close a time or two, but things are starting to normalize.
We're settled into our new place. My to-do list is still longer than my to-done list. Oh, well.
Pulled the front sheet metal off the 41, pulled the engine and tranny, and put the front sheet metal back on.
Started on the TH350. Got it up on the bench. Pulled the converter, kick-down cable, tail housing, governor, and modulator. I have heard of the driveshaft yoke seal tin cup, but had never actually run across one. Need to do some research on how to disassemble. Sent a PM to Crosley.
I have also done some work on the Cosworth Vega and the 428 T-Bird in the background. Part of what my brother-in-law and I are putting together for a business venture.
We bought a place just north of Oklahoma City. On the upside, it has a big shop. I have to get it set up. It will probably be next year before I get to work on the 41 again. Keep checking back as my brother-in-law and I are working on a job replacement which is going to be more in line with this site over what I was doing before.