Needed to get some things done on the trailer. Thought it would go quick and I could get on the 41. Took all day and I still didn't get it done.
The PO had started wiring the trailer to use it as an RV. I am not going to use it that way, but rather than rip it all out I thought it best to use what I can, modify what can work, and only replace/install the absolute minimum in order to save time and money.
The 2" PVC conduit (overkill for what I am doing but would require significant modification to eliminate it) was too short. A 10' stick was purchased and spliced it. Solid now.
A strain relief for the wires from the battery was installed in the box.
A 50 amp breaker was installed on the battery box.
Terminals were installed in the cabinet so future expansion can be handled. Breakers for the lights and the vent fans were installed as well. The vent fans are now hooked up and work great.
Don was able to come by tonight and weld the pads on. After he left and they cooled the tires were put back on. The tires were chocked and a tape was stretched from tire to tire. Moment of truth. Did it warp the rear? A little less than 1/16'' over nearly a full rotation. No change from before all the work and definitely as good as it gets. Stoked.
Potential for bad weather on Thursday so tomorrow evening will be spent cleaning the garage so the ''normal'' cars won't get hail damage.
Sunday I cleaned the housing a bit. Cut off the existing spring pads and ground the mess smooth. I measured the spring hangers on the car. 47'' centers on the rear and 46.5'' centers on the front. So, I assumed the pads should be 46.75'' on center. The ones that were on there were on 47.25'' centers. I assumed the slop in the holes allowed for it and set the new ones up at 46.75''. When I tried to put the rear in the car to check the pinion angle, it would not line up by 3/4'' on the shackles. I guess the springs camber out in the middle.
So, Monday night I cut the tacks and moved each pad out 3/8'' being careful to maintain the angle. Back to the car. A close inspection of the transmission showed that it points down at about 3-1/2 to 4 degrees. The pinion points up about 1 degree. That puts the pinion down (relative to the trans) 2 to 3 degrees. Couldn't get much better.
Weather, swap meet, working on the chicken coop. working on the trailer. Wondered if I would ever work on the car again.
Friday night I dropped the engine in. Saturday I put the car back together (sort of anyway - what wasn't bolted in was set in). Put the front tires on car ramps. Put the rear end on jack stands measuring so the axle center lines were about where they will be with the tires I hope to run. Put 20 gallons of gas in the trunk.
Measured the trans shaft angle. Pointing down about 3 deg. Then I measured the pinion angle. Also pointing down, only 7 deg.! Running it should be up 3 deg. which means at rest it should be about 1 down to 1 up. Need to put new pads on anyway.
Pulled the rear. Used a tape measure tire to tire with the tires chocked. Rotated the rear housing to check the toe change. I was concerned the PO might have warped the housing cutting off the lower trailing link mounts and welding on the leaf pads. Less than 1/16th. So far so good.
Cut the upper trailing link mounts off and ground smooth. An 8.5" leaf spring rear end the hard way.
Set the rear on jack stands and used an adjustable stand to set the pinion so the pads were level. Sort of anyway. Turns out that the pads are about 2 deg. off side to side! Anyway, going to cut off the existing pads and set the new ones so that hopefully the pinion angle will be close to zero. Tack, check the rear in the car, pull, have Don weld, and then check the toe one last time. Hope to get that all done this week so next Sat. I can clean and primer the interior.
The opening around the gas filler was rough. It will still need some plastic filler but a much thinner coat thanks to the lead.
The cowl had a serious ''dip'' just past the leading edge. Filing the lead showed that the cowl was a lot more warped than I thought. Great thing about lead. I was able to hammer and dolly some low spots up with the lead in place.
The lower cowl had a few issues which I had originally planned on fixing with plastic. There was a crevice at the gap. Since I had everything out, I decided to lead it. This also allowed building up the area where the front fender meets is in an attempt to eliminate the need to modify the fender.