Hard to believe it has been 2 months since I have been able to do anything. Weather and holidays. We did take the trailer to Kansas to pick up a mower and some other items. But, today it warmed up enough to do some work.
I wanted to add support to the fuel filler to prevent it from bending the fender and cracking the paint. I fabbed up a couple of supports and welded them in. In addition to the welds, the fender bolts will provide mechanical connection. The hardest part was cleaning the fender. The underneath side has a combination of paint, rust, dirt, and something like a very thin undercoating. What a mess. Anyway, got it done. Next warm day the filler area will get lead.
The PO had cut a hole in the side of the trailer just behind the side door for RV park electrical hook-up. I looked into finishing it as he had planned but could not find a box to install that was within the realm of a reasonable price. I have another connection plan, so the hole had to go. There was some leftover aluminum from the door window fix, so a patch was cut out. It was then glued and riveted to the side. Once again, if the urge hits me it will be painted in the spring.
The existing D-rings were about 10 ft. apart in the middle of the trailer. Maybe hauling go-karts? I started last Monday on vaca day installing 4 new D-rings by welding the reinforcing plate to the frame main rails and cross member. Due to running out of wire, I had to finish up on Saturday.
The trailer is ready to haul. I still have a few things to do, but they are niceties, not necessities.
The PO cut a hole in the door with squared corners for a window which has rounded corners. Result? Four triangular shaped holes for flies, wasps, and other vermin to enter at will. After looking into re-skinning the door, I decided the best fix was a patch.
A ''rim'' was cut out of oh-2-thin aluminum. The landau top adhesive I bought for the 41's interior was used to glue the rim to the door. After some putty tape and double stick foam tape, the holes are gone. For now I am going to leave it unfinished. I may mask it off and paint it in the spring.
All that is left to do is install the d-rings and I am ready to tow.
Due to my running out of summer before the car is finished means I will probably have to take the car to other locales this winter to get the work done. Therefore, I need to do some much needed work on the trailer.
The previous owner had been converting this trailer to be a dual purpose car hauler / camper. Some of the execution wasn't that great. Case in point, the large window on the right side. He cut through three vertical ribs in order to get this in, so the integrity of the side was severely compromised. The window had a gap you could drive a truck through at the forward top corner. Not good.
After taking the window out and removing the two side panels, pieces of angle iron were welded in to form a frame, tying the three cut ribs to the intact ribs on either side. Smaller vertical angles were installed on the sides of the opening in such a way as to maintain the thickness of the opening so the window would clamp down and seal. Thin foam double sided tape was used in the stock locations as well as the top and bottom members of the new frame.
After putting the sides back on and using fresh putty tape on the opening, the window fit much better and is more secure. All that is left is a quick bead of silicone caulk and this is done.