With the weather, other obligations, and work on the seat which hasn't paid off, I haven't posted for a while.
I took a day of vacation Monday and got some work done. The right side still needs the welds finished, but the shape is done and all the parts are in place and tacked. I have just started on the left side.
Before starting on the car I had to get the motorcycle out of the garage. There has always been something that annoyed me on the bike. The right footpeg was spring loaded in the up position. I checked it out and I think someone had it apart and reassembled it with the spring in backwards. I took it apart, flipped the spring, and it is all better now. Not sure if I have it right now or if it was right before, but the bottom line is I like it better like this.
Removed 18 of the 22 bolts holding the body to the frame. Two per side at the very front and two per side at the very rear are all that is left. They are easy to get to, so when it comes time to remove the body again, it will be quick work. Once the bolts were removed, the car came off the stands.
I thought about a freshly painted floor and what would happen to it while I crawled in and out of the car fitting the seat bottom. Decided it needed to be finished next. Upon closer examination of the ''parts'' seat I bought, I determined it would be a better starting point. The right side was modified and tacked together. Took longer than anticipated. The left side will have to be done next weekend. Hopefully it will fit and the welds can be finalized the same day.
Saturday the roof insulation which time and gravity had not already removed was taken down. What a filthy job. I looked like a coal miner when I was done. It probably needs a couple more cleanings before it is ready for primer.
No photos, but I also used the Eastwood internal frame coating to protect the inside of the body brace that runs on top of the floor just at the front of the back seat. So now, in one way or another, all the floor braces have some form of rust stop/prevention.
I have been wanting to go to the U.S. Nationals since the 25th annual running. I finally made it to the 59th annual. What a show! Did it up right and bought the TEC ticket. Was at the track Thursday through Monday. Got some great photos and autographs. This is only all small portion here.
I started off by pulling on the filler bung while applying heat. This annealed the MIG welds somewhat while giving the metal some give for the pull. Don is going to look at it to see if it needs more. Either way, it will require filler. It needs a lot less now than it did before I heated it. We will see if Don says it needs even less.
When I cut down the tank neck I forgot that the cut not only dropped the end down, it moved it inboard. If the intermediate tube was straight, that would not have been an issue. Unfortunately it is ''S'' shaped and interfered with the wheel house. Lengthening the neck almost fixed that problem, the opening in the wheel house will need a little trim to prevent a rattle.
The vent tube was bent into shape. It will need a support clamp either attached to the tank edge at the corner or maybe the tank strap.
Obviously it needs cleaned up, but it fits and it is functional. A couple of braces will be added tying the fender lip at the two bolt holes on either side of the tube to the tube and the vent tube to take strain off the fender face and the tube.
While I was under the car most of the day, I took the opportunity to use some Eastwood chassis internal paint to coat the inside of the two body braces which run from side to side in front of and behind the front seats. There are two braces which run for and aft between the front and back seats, reinforcing the foot wells on either side which also were coated. Finally, the gas tank channels received there coating. Nothing to see, so no photos. With that, however, the floor is ready to finish cleaning for primer.