Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 597
Views: 162994
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (120): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

09-03-2012 09:15 PM Left Front Fender
The people are the best part of this site. I posted the question as to whether the braces were needed or not as well as my plan on how to use them. 123pugsey not only answered but he made a suggestion I hadn't thought of. He even photo-shopped the suggestion. I was too close to the problem. He was able to see it more clearly than me. Thanks 123pugsey!

Seven holes were drilled in the re-pad. After the weld through primer dried, seven rosettes were put in.

To assure there would be enough meat for the holes and welded on nuts, "skirts" were welded to the end of the brace.

123pugsey's comment was to bring tabs down on the front and back of the brace using bolts installed parallel to the ground. Tabs were fabricated and located with some 18ga. spacers. The spacers simulate the paint so there will be room to assemble it once complete.

The tabs received two rosettes each and a short fillet at the midway point.

I decided to wait until the front end is completely assembled before the holes are drilled and the nuts are welded on.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #482]

09-01-2012 10:16 PM Left Fender
The fender ornaments were more than jewelry. They covered up the two screws which held the fender to the brace.

Looking left to right on the underside shot, the hole immediately behind the headlight opening was the front orny mount bolt hole. The next one was the center orny mount bolt. The next two were for the fender to brace bolting. Finally on the far right is the rear orny mount bolt hole.

After the bondo was remove; Pits! The neat thing was the fact that the pits were arranged so it almost looked like Damascus steel.

The brace was also blasted.

The holes were fixed inside and out.

The brace was placed on the car. A re-pad was cut and formed from 18 ga. The re-pad will spread the load on the fender.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #481]

09-01-2012 09:56 PM Left Fender
I could have worked on the doors or the fenders. Still not sure about the doors so I went fenders.

Pulled the left one out of storage. This was the one which still had the brace stuck to it, sort of.

The PO had welded the holes along the lower back. He then covered it with bondo. Based on the back side, I knew it had to be re-done.

The back side cleaned up pretty nice. The outside was another story. Pits! My initial reaction was to cut it out and make a new panel. However, the top of the fender behind the headlight opening had pits as well. My thought process revolved around the notion that if one had to be fixed; might as well fix the both. The flaw in that logic is that the lower panel was something I could replace; the crown of the fender is beyond my skill set After trying to clean up the welds and weld up pin holes and poor penetration, I eventually cut it out and replace it.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #480]

08-27-2012 09:22 PM Left Horn Baffle
The repair piece was welded in. I also plugged several pin holes from the previous welds when the baffle was sectioned.

The baffles and the "chin" were installed. Hopefully I will remember the order so the final assembly goes good. These parts will require an extra set of hands once painted.

I can't decide if I want to fill the bumper bracket holes or leave them. Or maybe poke a set of tow bar tabs through them?


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #479]

08-26-2012 07:16 PM Left Horn Baffle
The plan was simple. The horn baffles had to be modified to fit the modified radiator core support. I didn't want to trash my only horn baffles only to find out the core support modifications weren't going to work. So, I bought a spare pair on e-bay. That was the pair I modified because they were in the worst shape. Now I am cleaning them up and I find a series of rust through holes just below the bead at the bottom. A replacement section was cut out and the holes for the chin mount were cut. Hopefully the welding will get done tomorrow night.

Before and after shots. The paint and rust take forever to get off. There has got to be a better way.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #478]

Pages (120): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.