Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 616
Views: 174753
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

09-23-2012 12:07 AM Hood
The car will be in the garage all winter. The house will not. If one gets painted before winter, it has to be the house. Been working on the siding.

I did start on the hood. Whatever the paint is, it is tough as nails to get off. On the flip side, it allows rust. What a combo. If it wasn't for dents and high spots, there wouldn't be much of a hood.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #486]

09-15-2012 11:37 PM Front Clip
I spent most of the day aligning the front fenders and grill header. Once I was satisfied it was close enough, I drilled the holes for the bracket bolts. Both sides have the bracket work completed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #485]

09-14-2012 11:09 PM Right Front Fender
Extra long weekend since I took vacation Thursday and Friday. Went to an auction yesterday to buy guns and a hemi. Came home without either. Oh well.

This morning I was planning on working on the house siding. Woke up to rain. So, I decided to work on the car instead. It was cool. 59 degrees. I thought the twin halogen work lights would add some warmth, but I knew one of them was burnt out. So, I opened it up in order to fix it. Problem is that when the last bulb failed, it smoked the contact, welding the end of the bulb to it. Need to break down and buy a new one I am afraid.

When I finally started on the fender, I needed to fill some pin holes in the filled hole nearest to the front. Turns out the metal was very fatigued from all the work by the PO and me. I chased cracks and pin holes until I decided to cut a hole and fill it with a piece of sheetmetal. At this point I was wondering if I would ever work on what I set out to do this morning.

The repad was cut out and formed. It was then put in place utilizing 7 rosettes. The flanges were formed. The locations were marked in the same way as the other fender. Then they were welded in place.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #484]

09-08-2012 11:23 PM Right Front Fender
The bottom of the right fender was in better shape than the left one. Additionally, the PO had not welded the holes on this one. It is pitted but it cleaned up good.

There were two tears in the edge roll at the front bottom. Those were welded and smoothed.

The area where the spears were located was cleaned up. The bracket was blasted as well.

I ran out of argon/co2. I think the solenoid valve in the welder is sticking from time to time.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #483]

09-03-2012 10:15 PM Left Front Fender
The people are the best part of this site. I posted the question as to whether the braces were needed or not as well as my plan on how to use them. 123pugsey not only answered but he made a suggestion I hadn't thought of. He even photo-shopped the suggestion. I was too close to the problem. He was able to see it more clearly than me. Thanks 123pugsey!

Seven holes were drilled in the re-pad. After the weld through primer dried, seven rosettes were put in.

To assure there would be enough meat for the holes and welded on nuts, "skirts" were welded to the end of the brace.

123pugsey's comment was to bring tabs down on the front and back of the brace using bolts installed parallel to the ground. Tabs were fabricated and located with some 18ga. spacers. The spacers simulate the paint so there will be room to assemble it once complete.

The tabs received two rosettes each and a short fillet at the midway point.

I decided to wait until the front end is completely assembled before the holes are drilled and the nuts are welded on.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #482]

Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.