Well, between knocking things of the honey do list and meeting and getting acquainted with a local hot rodder, I didn't get as far as I planned today. That's OK, making a new friend was worth it. (The jury is still out on the honey do.)
Anyway, all of the pieces are welded in both sides now. And I am about 1/4 done with the grinding.
I did have one photo left over from yesterday. This is a closeup showing how the angle cut of the front piece compliments the angle of the front opening.
The filler piece is tacked to the hood. The excess material on the top and bottom ''mounts'' are ground back to the filler piece. The filler piece is fully welded in. The welds are ground. Repeat 11 more times.
The right side six are complete waiting skim coats of filler. The left side will hopefully get done tomorrow.
Not sure what I have done to the photos, but if they show up on your computer like they do on mine, you will have to scroll right to see them all.
Cut qty. 4 strips of 18 ga. 1-1/16'' wide x approx. 15-5/4'' long from some scrap that was in the drop pile. These strips were then cut into a total of 10 pieces approx. 5-1/4'' long plus 2 pieces that were angle cut for the lead holes.
The leading edge of each piece was folded over and cut to approx. 1/8'' of overlap to reinforce the edge and assure that it would not be sharp.
Each piece was gently curved to match the curve of the lower mount in the hood openings.
Each piece was fitted to the opening and a scribe mark was made so the excess could be cut off. The cut was made to the side of the scribe mark so the piece would slightly overlap the edge of the hood opening for a good weld.
Since each piece is cut to fit a particular opening, each piece was numbered to assure that any variation between holes would not be magnified by having mismatched pieces once welding was started.
I wasn't sure how it would look. Now that the pieces are cut and mocked in place, I like it. Now I just hope that the welding goes well and the finished product looks as good.
Been away from working on the 41 for 2 weeks. DA'd and rattle can primered the T-Bird we have for sale. Went and looked at a bug (thought I bought it but the seller backed out of the deal). Went and looked at a truck (couldn't make the deal work). Oil change and rear brakes on brother-in-law's S15. A few things off the honey do list and before you know it, 2 weeks are gone.
Today I did have a little bit of time to cut a strip of metal and begin mocking up the back plate for the rectangular holes in the hood. I think this is the way to do it. I just need to cut twelve identical pieces and weld them in. And hope they weld in without damaging the hood while looking good doing it.
Yesterday the welder was working OK. Today, not so much. So, I tore into it and made some adjustments to the feed mechanism. The good news is that it helped. The bad news is that I had to adjust it all the way out. Not sure what that means. It also still will stop feeding when set on half speed. I usually have to crank it up to full to get it going and then it will be OK for a while. I probably need a new welder.
But, I did manage to get the center strip finished welded. And ground down. Once it was finished to a point, it was checked on the car. The question is never will it warp. The question is how much and am I capable of fixing it? Even though I jumped around and stopped periodically to keep the heat low, the hood still flared out at the back. I figured it needed the center ''humped up'' about a half inch. A ratchet tie down was hooked to the hinge mounting pads. The center support plate was heated with a torch, and a board was used as a reference point to measure. Success! As you can see in the photo, the left side of the hood still needs a bit of tweaking. But for the first rough in, not bad.
And, as can be seen with the level, the hood center-line is not too bad. There are some lows and oil-canning either side of the center, but, again, not too bad. I will do some stretching and shrinking as soon as I get the backing plates welded into the side openings.
Finally, approx. 28 of the 50 holes are ground smooth. The remaining 22 are partially ground and just need finished. (Although there is one which will need one hit of weld for a pin-hole)