Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 614
Views: 167517
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (123): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

08-04-2012 08:14 PM Poppers
I didn't feel the poppers would work on the jamb for the same reason the wire looms would not work. The door opens by moving out of the opening both front and rear instead of just pivoting at the front. It is a good design in that it allows the complex curves of the door clear the complex curves of the cowl while allowing the fender to fit close to the door opening. It does not lend itself to changes.

The hinge, however, does pivot away from the mount inside the A pillar.

Once the decision was made to mount the popper in there, getting it in there was a challenge. First, it had to clear the captured nut. I determined the center of the hole needed to be approximately 3/8" from the capture tab. You can't get in there to measure. I ended up scribing a line using a 3/8" open end wrench. Center punch then drill. The mounting flange had to be relieved. And the hinge had to be cut slightly. Testing shows the door does pop open enough to get your fingers under the flange to open it. I may have to shim the spring to get more push, but for now, both poppers are in and working.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #464]

08-04-2012 07:51 PM Cowl Repair
The driver's side cowl had some problems. I believe the antenna was located here. The PO MIG'd the holes shut. However, there were weld boogers on the inside, the outside was rough, and you could see daylight through a bunch of holes. The outside and inside were both cleaned up. Weld, grind, repeat. A little hammer and dolly and it is good. There are some pits which will be under the front fender. I have to decide how to handle this.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #463]

07-31-2012 08:47 PM Blasted Other Two Hinges
No photos. Blasted the hinges for the driver's side. Looked in some of the most likely spots for the detent springs. Nothing. Gonna have to tear the garage apart. Hopefully the doors will hang tomorrow night.

  [Entry #462]

07-30-2012 10:09 PM Body Back on Chassis
All 22 bolts were tightened. The reinforcing brackets for the bolts through the frame rail in the over-axle hump area were sandblasted prior to installation. The body needed to be tight to the frame in order to fit the doors and trunk lid correctly. Tightening them up pointed out some deficiencies which will be addressed before final assembly.

Getting ready for fitting the doors. The hinges had the remains of the detent springs removed. Then they were sandblasted. Somewhere in the garage is a package containing new detent springs. Hope I can find them soon. The doors can be fit without them, but they will have to turn up soon.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #461]

07-28-2012 09:17 PM Rocker / Body Back on Chassis
109 today. Brutal.

Hit it early and got the RF rocker seam leaded and smoothed. Happy with the results but I am too slow. Hopefully with what I have learned the drip rail areas will go quicker. Time will tell.

There was a bunch of weld boogers on the right front body mount. Not sure what the PO was doing. It got cleaned up. I also welded a small hole shut on the right toe board.

My 41 funny car! The body went back on the chassis today. For the most part, I have figured out how to get it back on. There are a few rough spots I have to iron out before there is primer and/or paint involved.

The long bolts that go in the front mounts are missing. Not sure if the kit was short or if I misplaced them. I bought the bolt kit a lot of years ago. I will have to get some replacements tomorrow.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #460]

Pages (123): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.