Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 616
Views: 174194
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

06-15-2012 10:24 PM Holes
I really didn't want to start cutting tonight after work. I was afraid of what I would find. My rust bucket did not disappoint.

The left side was cleaned and then cut. The channel flange above the new hole was soft and buckled.

The right side wasn't as bad.

The left side of the channel was cut.

My choice is to cut out the whole channel and clean or replace all the metal. Or I can repair the worst and POR15 the rest. Going with option 2.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #446]

06-13-2012 10:10 PM Body Mount Holes / Broken Bolts
When removing the body, 2 of the 22 bolts broke. The inboard bolts on the center (behind the front seat) cross brace let loose rather than twisting out.

I drilled one of them out and cleaned the threads. One down, one to go.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #445]

06-13-2012 10:07 PM Final and Beginning Details
Finishing touches were put on the rotisserie. The handle was welded to the other retainer sleeve. 5/16" rods were welded to the lock bolts to allow quick tightening of the bolts when rotating the body.

Rather than trade out the wire spools and weld the lack of fusion on the butt welds, I decided to clean up some previous welds in the limited time available.

Unfortunately, a quick inspection of the floor turned up three more rust-throughs. One was sort of expected. The riser/brace at the front of the back seat had a sketchy area just to the right of the tunnel. Sure enough, there is a hole through the floor in that spot. The unexpected spots are at the ends of the same riser/brace in between the body mount bolt holes. Guess I get to cut them out. Hopefully, I won't find more bad when I cut.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #444]

06-02-2012 10:40 PM Rotisserie!
Got out there and hit it hard today. Made the final tweaks to the rear assembly. Added the lock bolt. The rear stand received lock holes at the 45 degree settings. That way I can do the rocker work.

Before the body came off the frame the inside of the battery box received a coat of POR15. No photos. Sorry.

Learned a lot today. I tried to lift the rear of the car first. The frame catches on the roll pan. Filed under "What Not To Do." The engine hoist gets the body in the air easy enough. However, it interferes with the temporary supports and the rotisserie stands. I can work around it for now. However, when the body work is complete and/or there is top coats of paint involved, a better way must be found.

So, the moment of truth arrived. Would the stands hold up? Would the rotisserie rotate? YES! It takes a bit of oomph to get the car rotated to 90 and 180. I knew this going in as the pivot line is above the center of gravity. It had to be done in order to clear the floor and ceiling. The important thing is that I was able to do it alone. If I have help, it should go easy.

Now, more grinding, welding, repeat.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #443]

05-29-2012 10:38 PM Rotisserie
Got a little bit done after work today. It was 96 deg. when I started. 89 when I stopped. Shirt was soaked.

A small tab was fabricated and welded in place at the bottom of the upright. It bolts to a failed trunk latch mount. The rest of the "legs" were made and welded into place.

At this point, the back piece only needs some minor tweaks and the stand needs the lock bolt and sleeve finished. It is still possible the body will be twirling this coming weekend.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #442]

Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.