Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 592
Views: 159672
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119

11-19-2011 10:59 PM K-Member And Other Things
I cut the ends of the crossmember off. I actually thought I was cutting them long and would have to grind to fit. In the end, the driver's side was perfect as cut. The passenger side ended up a bit short. The holes will need to be elongated about 3/16" so the bolts will go through the flanges of the top hat frame. The brackets were tack welded to the crossmember. Don is going to finish weld it for me next week. The pad where the transmission mount attaches will have to be cut off and moved up after the crossmember is bolted in place.

The overflow tank was tweaked and mounted to the radiator. The transmission dipstick was installed by mounting it to the firewall.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #392]

11-14-2011 06:39 AM A little more wiring
Had to go out and measure for the starter cable. Had a few extra minutes so did a little wiring.

The black ground wire is the ground for the speedo sending unit. Got it cut to length and the terminal installed. This completes this wiring harness to the coil. All that is left is a couple of clamps to hold it to the firewall and some sleeve and pull ties to make it neat.

The oil sending unit wire was also cut to length and a terminal installed. Other than a few clamps and a ground wire for one of the fans, the firewall forward wiring harness is complete.

I also test fit the carb spacer and the distributor hold down. The carb spacer is great. The hold down, not so much. It is too large and hits the heater hose bung on the manifold. I have another one on order which should be smaller.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #391]

11-13-2011 07:31 AM Coil and K-Member
Made the final connections to the coil. The green wire goes to the Unilite. The small white wire goes to the tach. The one large pick wire obviously goes to the ballast resistor. The other one goes to the solenoid. I need to verify with Mallory that the ballast bypass is required on the Unilite.

Twenty rivets! Slotted the heads I could get to with a cut off wheel. Air hammer chiseled them off. A few popped out with a punch on the air hammer. Most had to be partially drilled out before they would budge. I hurt all over!

Put the CE crossmember in place and marked where to cut it. Didn't get it done before dinner time. Found out our favorite Sat. night spot closed. Bummed. Lost a great place to eat and I could have cut and fit the crossmember.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #390]

10-21-2011 10:23 PM Lower Radiator Hose
Due to the exit location of the water pump, the hose hit the mount and the tensioner body.

Went to a parts house that is part of a national chain with one of the short hose sections from the kit. Told the counter guy I needed one just like it only 2 inches longer, and with a 15 deg. - 30 deg. bend in the middle.

Counter guy: Let's look it up. What make and year?

Me: Won't help. (counter guy looks at me funny)

Me: OK, its a 41 Chevy with a 350.

Counter guy: Come on back with me and see what is available.

Found a hose which was close to what I needed.

Cut the section out I wanted. Most of the hose is scrap.

Upper and lower hoses are ready to go.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #389]

10-20-2011 09:25 PM Plumbing
Cold weather is setting in. I have re-thought taking the body off the frame and working on the floor. It is going to be too cold to paint, so I decided to put that off til spring.

I decided that the brake lines and fuel lines would make a good project for over the winter. I started today by removing the stock intake and putting on the Performer I have.

I've seen worse RTV abuse. The engine wasn't too bad; although the bolts had so much they were hard to get out. The manifold was worse. It had gobs of orange RTV everywhere.

The upper radiator hose was cut to length and fitted. The lower hose is going to be a bit more challenging. I need to find a short, 30 deg. angle hose so the lower hose will clear the tensioner and mount.

The temp gauge sending unit and the fan temp sending unit were both installed. I need to pick up a carb spacer and and an NPT bushing for the oil sending unit so the wires for the ignition, oil pressure, water temp, fan control, and electric choke can be terminated.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #388]

Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.