So, in December I got word that the company was phasing out my position. I worked through June and now I am retired / semi-retired / unemployed. We have sold the house and we are not sure where we are going to end up. I am putting the 41 together so it is easier to transport and store. I wanted to get some of the welding and grinding done as I am not sure when I will have the facilities again.
The left cowl had some bad pits. I cleaned them before I shot the primer last fall. Turned out that some of the pits were deep. So deep they were actually holes. Looks like it is grinning at my misery.
Cut, weld, grind repeat.
Now all it needs is a little primer to keep it from rusting. Hope to get that done tomorrow or the next day.
Did some final sandblasting. DA'd the exterior. Acetone wipe down. Wax and grease remover wipe down. Tack cloth. After all the cleaning, there is a spot on the top of the fender! It doesn't show in the photo, but it's there. Might be some residual stripper. May have come through the air hose, although I have a filter at the gun inlet. It will have to be spot patched before skim coating. But for now, it is sealed against rust and the base is there for smoothing. I am hoping that getting it prepped for primer was the hard part. That's my hope anyway, as getting the inside clean was a bear.
I also ran out of paint previously when I painted the hinges. I scuffed them up and gave them two more coats of primer.
Nice day and the wife did not have the pool or the pond ready to take down. So, time to work on the car!
Aircraft stripper took the exterior paint right off the left fender. After a little DA work and some hammer and dolly, ready to prime. The only way to clean the inside is the slow way. Polycarbide wheel on an angle grinder, DA, wire wheel, and sandblaster. Almost got the right one ready for paint. Need some sandblaster supplies to make the final touches. Did figure the correct way to hang it. Primer should go on Sunday afternoon.
Did not have the time to clean the inside of the right fender. Did strip the outside. A light coat of WD-40 assures little or no surface rust if this baby has to wait til spring.