Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 592
Views: 160647
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119

03-13-2011 06:51 AM Back At It
Sorry, no photos.

First nice Saturday in a long time. Got the wife's tiller operational. She is going to put in a garden. Tiller sat 7 years without use but with gas. What a mess. Cleaned the carb and the tank. Replaced the fuel line and tank grommet. Put slime in the tire that always goes flat.

Also slimed two of the riding mower tires and charged the battery.

Finally did get to work on the 41. Added the wire for a light in the trunk. Put the wiring harness back in the car. Ready to wire the back-up lights, tag light, and third brake light.

  [Entry #347]

12-31-2010 10:45 PM Batt Cables and Back Up Lights
Warm today. Cold front came through. Probably the last warm day for a while.

Made the negative battery cable which will go from the box to the frame rail. Also crimped the solenoid end of the positive cable in place. Holes were drilled for the strain reliefs. The battery end will be crimped on once I have a battery in order to assure correct length.

I also drilled the holes for the back up lights. It will probably be the end of the month before I can work on it again. I will wire the back up lights, third brake light, and tag light next work session.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #346]

12-28-2010 07:36 PM Battery Box Lid
It was a little warmer today. Think it got up to 50 or so.

A piece of flat steel was cut out a little bit larger than needed. The step around the outside and the beads were laid out. My wife helped me roll it.

In my concern to make it small enough to fit, I ended up forgetting that the rounded corners might leave gaps. I will have to weld in fillets so the lid will completely cover the hole.

Dzus fasteners were located and installed. I will probably weld the spring brackets in. For now, they are held on with pop rivets.

There is one small tear in the step that will need to be welded. Other than that, the lid is done. It is not perfect. But it is functional and will eventually be covered with carpet.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #345]

12-13-2010 05:55 AM Filling Last Big Hole in Trunk Floor
Temperature was the same when I started on Saturday as it was when I started on Friday. The sun even came out. Problem was the high winds out of the north. Felt much colder on Saturday. To make things worse, a front came through, dropping the temps as I worked. Decent days are going to be few and far between until spring I'm afraid.

Did manage to get the front panel welded in and the welds ground smooth. Test fit the box to make sure everything fits. Waiting to weld the box in until I am sure about the lid and how to retain it.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #344]

12-11-2010 09:40 AM Filling Big Holes in the Trunk Floor
The battery box hit the frame before it reached the rearward edge of the opening in the floor. A piece of 18 ga. about 2-1/4" wide was fitted and welded to the opening. While I was grinding the welds I also cleaned up a few more of the many rosettes attaching the tail pan to the floor.

Before filling the front of the hole in, I wanted to locate the grounding lug. A cable will run from the lug on the box to the lug on the frame. Locating the lug now will allow me to make the cable now. After locating and drilling a 5/16" hole, the frame was tapped with a 3/8-16 tap. For now, the stainless nut was welded to the frame in two spots. When the body comes off again, the nut will be completely welded.

Finally, a piece was cut for the front of the hole. I got the beads rolled, but ran out of time. It is supposed to be about the same temperature on Saturday as it was on Friday, so I should be able to get it in tomorrow.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #343]

Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.