Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 592
Views: 160457
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119

10-30-2010 11:56 PM More Steering Column
The wire straightening led to hooking stuff up. The turn signal wires in the harness were all loose with the ends crimped on. They were always getting tangled. I hadn't hooked them up for a couple of reasons.

First, the turn signal switch had some of its wires cut from the connector. Someone had crimped female spades on them. I decided this would look bad, so I bought a new switch.

Second, the stock location would end up immediately to the left of my foot on the brake pedal. This could result in a bad tangle. The mounting bracket had its spot welds cut. Two holes were drilled and the bracket was mounted to the column mounting pads which will not be used on this installation.

I may extend this bracket upward so the turn signal wiring is not so visible.

I just got the neutral safety switch wiring started when it was time to go eat. Two dollar taco day at Tin Star!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #337]

10-30-2010 11:47 PM Steering Column Work
The plastic canceling cam had become brittle with age. The 1/4 turn connector for the horn button wire had cracked out. There are a whole lot of "reproduction" cams out there at reproduction prices. If you don't need a green one or a gray one, Dorman's Help line has on that functions just fine for about $6.

The high beam switch had also cracked out. It got replaced.

All of this rehab started as the result of needing to install a neutral safety switch. I have the switch, but the mounting nuts are gone. I have to figure out how to attach. Until then, I will be wiring it. I started by sorting the wires.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #336]

10-23-2010 11:34 PM Wiring
Put the Weatherpack ends on the tail light wires, and the stereo power. All that is left in the trunk is to hook up the tag light, third brake light, and fuel sender. The wire from the relay to the fuel pump also needs hooked up.

I made the bracket for the popper relays and circuit breaker. Got most of that hooked up. Still have to splice into the park light circuit and run the wires to the doors. I need to find a good place to mount the receiver.

As I was working I looked up to see a great sunset. Had to snap a photo. The photo doesn't come close.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #335]

10-21-2010 09:24 PM Bought Some More 18 ga.
The battery box used up the last big piece of 18 ga. I had. I took a couple of days vacation to get some honey-do's done. While I was out getting pool winterizing chemicals, I ran by the metal yard and picked up a 48 x 120 18 ga. A366 cold rolled. $52 plus tax. Now I have enough for this car and a good start on the next one. LOL


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #334]

10-16-2010 08:07 PM Battery Box
Several weeks ago I heard a hissing sound after welding on the seats. I thought maybe I had cut the gas line on the welder. Turned the bottle off. Still heard the hissing. The left front tire let go for no apparent reason (other than it was coming apart). I borrowed some tires from a co-worker just to roll it around on. The 14's did not fit the front, so I put them on the back and moved the backs to the front. Back on the ground.

I measured out and cut the last piece of 18 ga. I have around. Will have to get another sheet next weekend.

Marked out the lines for the beads. My wife came out and turned the crank while I guided the piece through. Worked out great. I will have to put a hole in the middle of the "X" for a drain. Then I used my poor man's break and bent it up to fit the ends. Didn't get it welded. Next weekend.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #333]

Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.