Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 577
Views: 154748
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (116): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116

08-01-2010 07:12 AM Headlights, park, turn - DONE
The right front fender was removed. Holes were drilled for the mounting clips.

A brass all thread rod was cut to length to replace the second from the top inner fender to core support bolt. Originally the top bolt was considered. Since it carries most of the weight from the fender, the next one down was chosen. This stud will be the ground lug.

The loom tube and wires were cut to length. Connectors were installed. Everything but the headlights and the fans received WeatherPack connectors. The headlights and fans received MetriPack 280 connectors.

The driver's side was finished.

Everything is set up to remove prior to bodywork and paint. Once the engine and trans wires are complete, the firewall forward will be done. Waiting on the Mallory ballast resistor before that will be tackled. For now, it is back under the dash.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #317]

07-28-2010 10:29 PM More Wiring
Hot when I got home. Didn't start working on the car until after 7. Still 94 deg. at 7.

Installed the 3/4" loom clamps. I cut the relay grounds intending on putting ring terminals on them so they could attach with the circuit breaker bolts. Apparently I did not get any of that size. I have everything else. Another parts run!

Put the protective covers on the circuit breakers. Installed the 1/2" loom clamps behind the driver's side horn baffle. Will do the passenger side next. Then cut the headlight and park light wires to length and install connectors. Getting close to calling the front wiring harness done.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #316]

07-25-2010 07:14 AM More Wiring
The screws temporarily holding the condenser in place were removed and replaced with stainless 6-32 machine screws, washers and nuts. The 13" pusher fan was installed.

Most of the front sheet metal was put back on the car. The Ah-OOO-Gah horn was located and installed.

The holes on the inner fender were enlarged to allow the WeatherPack and MetriPak connectors to pass through. Larger grommets were installed. New holes were also drilled in the tops of the horn baffles to allow the wiring to pass over to the passenger side.

The stock hole in the headlight bucket will allow the female MetriPak double connector through. The new headlight pigtail had the wires removed. New 59 Packard connectors were crimped on the color coded wires and installed in the connector cavities.

5/16" holes were placed in the bottoms of the buckets for the turn signal wires to pass through. Grommets were fitted. The WeatherPack terminals will be crimped on the wires, but the housing will have to be installed after the wires are passed through the hole.

The grounds for the horn and the fan still need to be run to a stud inside the fender area. The headlight, turn signal, and park light wires still need to be cut to length and connectors installed. Clamps for securing the harness need to be installed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #315]

07-18-2010 07:25 AM Park Lamps
I found a couple of real nice park lamp assemblies on ebay. They had been converted to turn signals and the rubber parts were cracked. The housings were solid and that is what I needed. The chrome is not show quality but is very nice driver material. The glass was great until I broke one!

New rubber parts were obtained from Chevs of the 40's. New single contact pigtails were obtained from O'Reilly's. A quick clean up and assembly and they are ready to install. I will come back later and paint the outside of the main housing.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #314]

07-18-2010 07:21 AM Headlight Buckets
The headlight buckets needed to be modified to accommodate the AutoLoc tri-bar with built in turn signal headlights.

The inner bucket required the hole at the back be opened up to allow the larger boss and cover to slide through. A hole had to be opened up at the bottom of the inner bucket for the turn signal boss and wires.

The outer bucket was dimpled to provide clearance for the turn signal wires.

I still have to determine how to pass the turn signal wires through the outer bucket.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #313]

Pages (116): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.