Temperature was the same when I started on Saturday as it was when I started on Friday. The sun even came out. Problem was the high winds out of the north. Felt much colder on Saturday. To make things worse, a front came through, dropping the temps as I worked. Decent days are going to be few and far between until spring I'm afraid.
Did manage to get the front panel welded in and the welds ground smooth. Test fit the box to make sure everything fits. Waiting to weld the box in until I am sure about the lid and how to retain it.
The battery box hit the frame before it reached the rearward edge of the opening in the floor. A piece of 18 ga. about 2-1/4" wide was fitted and welded to the opening. While I was grinding the welds I also cleaned up a few more of the many rosettes attaching the tail pan to the floor.
Before filling the front of the hole in, I wanted to locate the grounding lug. A cable will run from the lug on the box to the lug on the frame. Locating the lug now will allow me to make the cable now. After locating and drilling a 5/16" hole, the frame was tapped with a 3/8-16 tap. For now, the stainless nut was welded to the frame in two spots. When the body comes off again, the nut will be completely welded.
Finally, a piece was cut for the front of the hole. I got the beads rolled, but ran out of time. It is supposed to be about the same temperature on Saturday as it was on Friday, so I should be able to get it in tomorrow.
Another short day. Waited until it warmed up a bit and then put up Christmas lights. Probably only worked on the car for about 3 hours.
I finally decided on 1/0 for the battery cables. A hole was drilled in the front end plate for the waterproof strain relief.
A 3/8" heavy stainless steel nut was welded to the side of the box. A length of 3/8" brass all thread will be installed here and nutted on the inside. The negative battery cable will go to the stud, grounding the body. The outer stud will have a cable connecting it to the frame.
I still have to figure out how to attach the lid and then build it. As for now, the floor will need the extra panels put in and then the box can be installed.
I decided the best way to bring the battery cables through the floor was to extend the raised portion rearward. A section was removed and a new piece was formed and welded in. The welds still need ground smooth.
The bottom of the battery tray and the box underneath of it received a coat of POR 15. The tray was then welded to the bottom of the box.
I have to decide on how and where the battery cables will pass out of the box.