Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 543
Views: 146141
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (109): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109

09-05-2009 09:21 PM Power Window Motor Mount
The top section was completely welded before starting on the lower section. I did it this way so any shrinkage would not affect the measurements on the lower section. This required a lot of hammer and dolly work, welding, and grinding.

Once the top section was welded down to the bottom of the door pull mounts, the hole pattern was laid out. There are five slotted holes for the motor mount and two large holes for access to the window mounting bolts. The holes were drilled and the slots were cut.

More welding and grinding. I almost got it done. I still have to cut out the filler piece for the front gap and weld it in. With the holiday upon us, it will probably be Wednesday before I get this welded in. The power unit was fit several times during the welding and grinding process, so once the welding is complete, I have high hopes of getting the window functioning rather quickly afterward.

I also welded up two more of the spot weld holes.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #263]

09-03-2009 09:31 PM And More Door Work
Bonus night. Didn't think I would get to work on the car tonight. The ladies of the house went to a volleyball game, so fire up the compressor!

The door was cut to remove the "hump which interferes with the power window mechanism. Any way you slice it, this is slow, tedious work. The metal has to be cut. There is a lot of residual stress in this panel. It then has to have all the bumps flattened using a hammer and dolly. Grind to fit and start welding. I didn't get all the welding done tonight. I hope to get the welding done and the window operating on Saturday.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #262]

09-02-2009 10:15 PM More Door Work
Tonight the bead at the bottom of the door was modified. This bead will interfere with the motor mount and the drive tube on the power window unit. After cutting it out, two tabs were cut out and welded in to bring the ends of the opening up flush with the inner door panel. Then a rectangular patch was welded into place. After a bunch of grinding, the panel is ready to cut.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #261]

09-01-2009 06:21 AM Wiper Motor Lower Support Bracket
I remember reading a quote once. I think it was by Lil' John Buttera. He was asked how he made some of his parts. He responded something to the effect that he starts with a chunk of metal and cuts away anything that does not resemble the part he wanted. I like that concept.

So, tonight (since I didn't feel like working on the door!) I tackled the lower support bracket for the windshield wiper motor. The kit had a strap which was supposed to hook into the stock dash somewhere. Since the stock dash is gone and the wiper motor is mounted on a custom made main bracket, the strap brace wasn't going to work.

I started with a chunk of 2 x 3 rectangular tube since I had it on hand. After a bunch of cutting, grinding, heating, bending, and drilling, this is what was left. Elegant in its simplicity, if I do say so myself. It now will securely mount the lower portion of the main bracket to the brake pedal support.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #260]

09-01-2009 06:13 AM Cowl Vent Trough and Hinge
The cowl vent had a trough to catch water. It had a tube which I assume had a hose connected to it at one time in order to direct any water to the outside of the car. The trough also had parts of the hinge assembly attached to it.

The spot welds were cut out and the trough assembly was removed. It didn't take up a lot of space, but every little bit is going to help on the AC install. Its removal will also allow for a bit more rust removal.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #259]

Pages (109): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.