Went to the hardware store Saturday morning. Picked up a couple of grommets. The large one requires a big enough hole to pass the Metri-pack 280 connector for the fuel pump connection through the floor. The small one will fill the cavity in the big one to make a weatherproof seal.
Tanks sends a fairly universal pick-up assembly with their new tanks. The pick-up tubes were cut to length and the unit installed.
The VDO sending unit was a bit trickier. The tank is 6 inches deep where the sending unit installs, but it sits in a recess. The tank is actually 7-1/2" deep. This required the sending unit to not only be installed without the spacer bar, the actual sender unit had to be installed upside down. This requires the float to be installed on the opposite side. Finally, the complete assembly will not fit in the tank opening assembled. The float has to be placed in the tank. Then the sending unit has to be dropped in about half way. The float arm has to be threaded in the sender, aligned, and tightened. Finally, the complete assembly can be dropped in and bolted in place.
The fuel pump wires were cut to length, the grommets installed, and the Metri-pack 280 terminals crimped on.
After some searching, I realized I did not have any size 6 ring terminals. There were honey-dos to be done, so that ended my day. Next week.
After centering the tag frame in the frenching box, 1/4" x 20 nuts were welded to the back side. Then, after careful measuring and marking, two 5/16" holes were drilled for the wires. A tab was fabbed and welded to the top channel of the trunk opening. Finally, the trunk lid was put back on the car and the wiring was completed. The corrugated rubber sleeve that goes from the body tab to a hole in the trunk lid was obtained at a swap meet from a wiring vendor. Some mounting bolts, the fuel pump wire, and the fuel sending unit wire is all that is left to do to the trunk area wiring.
Back at it. A little cool to start, a little rain, but an overall good day.
I had not finished the latch on the trunk. I cut a piece of 18 ga. and welded it in place.
I had originally planned using LED bolts to hold the tag on with a third brake light in the back window. After thinking about it, I decided to get a plate frame with a self-contained tag light and third brake light. Stainless steel oval headed Phillips 1/4" x 20 machine screws will hold it in place.