Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 616
Views: 174133
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

11-29-2009 12:12 AM Forgot the Arm Rest Bracket
Got a lot done today, just not on the car.

Restacked the firewood.

Turned off the water to the sprinkler system.

Put up the Christmas lights.

I also straightened up the garage a little so I will be able to put the daily drivers in to keep them out of the ice and reduce the amount of scraping we have to do. Not quite there, but this time next week they should both be in the garage.

Actual work on the car was minimal. Somehow, when I assembled the right window box, I forgot to weld on the arm rest support bracket. The measurements from the left side were transferred. The area on the box and the back of the bracket got a coat of weld through primer. Two wet rags were put in the box in order to minimize the damage to the POR 15 and the seam sealer. The welds are necessarily pretty, but they are strong enough to hold the arm rest.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #301]

11-21-2009 08:53 PM Trunk Latch Finish (Almost)
Shorter and colder days means that less gets done.

Today I made all the flanges for the two access panels. The tailpan had holes drilled in it and the plug welds were made. While all of mine are not perfect, I did put in a couple of nice ones today. I just had to post a photo of one.

The holes in the covers were punched and the holes in the tailpan were drilled. Sheet metal screws were installed. Some fancy cutting and fitting was required on the actuator cover opening. In the end, I was short a couple of screws. An excuse for another trip to Best Hardware.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #300]

11-14-2009 11:26 PM Fuse Box
A cold front is coming in. This may have been the last decent day to work outside. I think the front came in about 4, because it got pretty chilly.

I wanted to get the fuse box located and the dash removed. I can build the dash harness inside where it is warm this winter.

After looking at the underside for a while, it looked like the easiest thing to do would be to build a bracket to attach to the brake pedal support.

The scrap pile yielded a section of 2 x 3 rectangular tubing. After a few quick cuts and some drill and riv-nut work, I had my bracket. The tubing provides nice rounded corners to prevent wire chaffing.

With the bracket mounted and the fuse box installed, the dash wires were separated out and marked as to where they reached the dash. The dash was removed. A nice, cold winter's day project is ready to go.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #299]

11-14-2009 11:18 PM Stereo
The cable from the control unit in the dash reached the trunk, but just barely. The main unit would have to mount on the package shelf or the bulkhead. Since the package shelf would have forced the speakers close together, the bulkhead was chosen. The bulkhead has a bead rolled in it which would interfere with the unit. So I snagged the 3/4" square aluminum tubing from the failed attempt using it to mount the radiator and cut some short sections, drilled holes in them, and put in riv-nuts. I will need to work out the antenna, the remote control unit, and the speaker wires. But the big issue of getting a unit to fit the car is done.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #298]

11-13-2009 08:56 PM One Step Back
Since the column was in the car and the steering shaft and u-joints had arrived, I decided to make the car steer. After cutting the collapsible shaft to length I discovered the shaft and u-joint hit the header.

I will push the column in about an inch. The wheel is a little close now. Pushing it toward the firewall about an inch will make it just right or maybe a little far. This should move the shaft and the u-joint down and away from the header.

If that isn't enough, I will probably try to move the engine to the right about half an inch and maybe up about a quarter inch.

In the end, I may have to get a different set of headers. How do the guys with the stock steering column location do it? I moved the column over to the left as far as I could and I still have clearance issues!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #297]

Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.