Got the dash lights wired yesterday. Lots of crimping and shrinking. Had to do some soldering. Also hooked up the turn indicators and high beam indicators. I did break the lead on one of the AC control lights. Now I have to find a replacement. Just a little bit more and the dash wiring will be done. I will also have to make the routing a bit neater. Next will be the bulkhead connector at the firewall.
Well, my ankle is not 100% yet. But I have started working on the car again. I cut the dash wires on the wiring harness and installed a 56 Packard 8 cavity connector and two Weatherpack connectors. The wires which go to the gauges and switches were installed in mating connectors. The gauge power, ground, and signal leads are all hooked up except for the speedo signal. The headlight switch is all hooked up except for the dome, dash, and ground. The power lead is hooked up to the wiper switch. I still have to hook up the AC/heater, the indicator lights, the dash lights, and the power window switch. It is good to be back at it.
I was really hoping to be posting photos of progress. Problem is that I developed a blood clot in my leg. Probably from lack of use due to the broken ankle. Anyway, I am on blood thinners now. Not sure when and how much I will be able to do on the car for the next 2 to 6 months. I see the doctor on Monday. Maybe he will have some good news for me for a change.
I took a one day vacation and convinced my wife to drive me to the swap meet. She actually may go with me in the future even if I can drive myself. She probably just said that because she feels sorry for me.
Lots of neat stuff. I was looking specifically for a park light assembly for my 41. Didn't find one. Didn't find anything else I couldn't live without.
I can put weight on the leg but the doc wanted me to use two crutches, then one crutch before going without. So it was a little rough getting around. I probably would have stayed an extra hour or so if I was 100%.
I saw a lot of project cars with potential. My wife saw a lot of rust. She couldn't figure out how they could be fixed. I said the cars could be fixed, you just needed vision.
Then we ran across this 57. I have never seen one rusted out like this. The cowl was rusted out. The panel between the trunk lid and the rear window was rusted out. The roof was rusted out. The trunk lid and the hood had rust holes. There wasn't a solid panel on the car.
Real shame, too. A two door hardtop with factory power brakes and power steering.
Maybe somebody could fix it. It would be way beyond me.
Didn't take any other photos. The foot and the crutches got the better of me.
Wow. It has been over 4-1/2 months since I posted.
We had a particularly long and hard winter. Around the first of March it looked like I would be able to get out and start working. I went out to straighten up a few things on March 6 so that when I returned from a business trip scheduled for March 7 through March 12, I could start working.
As I was leaving, I stepped over two boxes. Almost. I attempted to catch myself from the stumble but soon realized my legs were interlocked in such a way so that I couldn't move either one. I was going down. I heard a crack just before I hit the floor.
The trip to the emergency room confirmed by x-ray that the crack I heard was an actual crack in my lateral malleolus, the lower part of the fibula at the ankle.
As of yesterday, I can begin putting weight on it. I will have to wear the boot for another 4 weeks minimum. I can wean myself off the crutches as the pain permits.
With all the combustibles the boot is made of, I can't weld. It is also cumbersome to move around with. I will probably start wiring the dash in a week or so. The heavy work is going to have to wait until June.