Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 601
Views: 164378
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121

08-22-2009 10:19 PM Exterior of Driver's Door Done (Almost)
The straight line window sill was skip welded into place. Weld, grind, repeat.

The remainder of the trim holes were finish welded. Two of the top trim holes had never been welded. There were also two more which I popped the "weld" out of with a small screwdriver. I cut four filler pieces of metal for these four holes. Weld, grind, repeat.

Once all of the exterior welding and grinding was complete, to try and fix the window frame so it better fit the opening. With the door closed and the belt line flush, the top and bottom of the door protruded from the side of the car. I used a chain and a ratcheting cargo strap along with some wood to pull the top and bottom in. The area which needed to shrink was hit with a hammer to relieve stress as the strap was pulled tight. The end result is pretty close. I figure I will need to do this one more time after the door relaxes for a while.

The low spots will also need to be hit with the stud welder and slide hammer.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #251]

08-22-2009 10:10 PM Prep For One Piece Door Glass
The driver's door is so much easier than the passenger door. Since the passenger door was done first, all that is required is measuring the passenger door and marking the driver door. The angle was fit, the window sill was cut, and the angle was welded in. This is so the "dip" in the sill where the vent used to be is replaced with a straight line window sill.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #250]

08-22-2009 10:05 PM Brake Pedal Is Done
The brake pedal was cut apart. Then it was welded back together and ground smooth. Finally, a reinforcing rib was welded on. It needs a new bushing built since the one that came with it is very wobbly. Powder coat and it will be ready to roll. Difficult to see, but the clevis now passes center after the pedal is half way to the floor.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #249]

08-19-2009 09:43 PM AC Unit Arrived
Picked up the AC unit on Monday. Had a honey-do to take care of on Tuesday. Got to do the first trial fit today.

I used the mounting straps that came with the condenser to make some quick and dirty brackets for the h/a/d unit. I will replace them with something a little stouter when I am sure where the unit will end up.

As it sits, it is looking pretty good. There is enough clearance for the firewall pad and cover. I should be able to install the receiver/dryer and the water control valve on the passenger side and still get the hoses to either an in-line or square bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Problem areas. I am going to have to get the wiper motor to be sure I have clearance. Going to order it tomorrow. I don't think there will be room for a stereo unless I come up with something to space it out from the dash. I am thinking more about building a mounting pod on the bottom of the dash and putting it there. I'll have to work that out.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #248]

08-15-2009 07:06 PM Drip Rail and Door
If you look close, you can see green lines and numbers on the roof. I marked off inches so I could keep track of the incremental welds. I would weld about a 1/2" and then skip 4" and weld another 1/2".

When I got all the way from one end to the other this way, I worked my way back to the start by welding every other trim hole around the window. These holes had been welded before, but there were a lot of holes in the welds.

When I had a series of 1/2" long welds (approximate) with 1/2" spaces between them, I ground.

Once the grinding was done, the remaining welds were put in using the same staggering technique. All the holes around the window were finished as well.

Final grinding was done and this side is ready for lead (or cold filler if I lose my nerve.

I moved up to the door. This is going to be the only panel where I am not removing at least some of the weld boogers and mig wire spiders on the inside. I just can't get in there to grind them down.

The lower row is done. The second row has the first welds done which still need to be ground. The holes around the window still need to be started.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #247]

Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.