Tonight the "hump" welding was finished. The last spot weld hole was also filled. Other than some minor tweaking, this is done.
I mounted the latch release and the window regulator to determine how far the Autoloc switch would need to extend from the door. I had previously contemplated this on the other door and hadn't done anything. There are three levels of sheet metal in this area. I expected to do a lot of sheet metal work. After measuring, I determined the panel forward of the existing hole was the correct height. I decided there was no reason not to move the location slightly forward. The holes were drilled and the switch test fit. The door panels are going to be custom items, so this should work well. And, it is going to save me a bunch of custom metal work. All I have to do now is fill the old holes.
The top section was completely welded before starting on the lower section. I did it this way so any shrinkage would not affect the measurements on the lower section. This required a lot of hammer and dolly work, welding, and grinding.
Once the top section was welded down to the bottom of the door pull mounts, the hole pattern was laid out. There are five slotted holes for the motor mount and two large holes for access to the window mounting bolts. The holes were drilled and the slots were cut.
More welding and grinding. I almost got it done. I still have to cut out the filler piece for the front gap and weld it in. With the holiday upon us, it will probably be Wednesday before I get this welded in. The power unit was fit several times during the welding and grinding process, so once the welding is complete, I have high hopes of getting the window functioning rather quickly afterward.
Bonus night. Didn't think I would get to work on the car tonight. The ladies of the house went to a volleyball game, so fire up the compressor!
The door was cut to remove the "hump which interferes with the power window mechanism. Any way you slice it, this is slow, tedious work. The metal has to be cut. There is a lot of residual stress in this panel. It then has to have all the bumps flattened using a hammer and dolly. Grind to fit and start welding. I didn't get all the welding done tonight. I hope to get the welding done and the window operating on Saturday.
Tonight the bead at the bottom of the door was modified. This bead will interfere with the motor mount and the drive tube on the power window unit. After cutting it out, two tabs were cut out and welded in to bring the ends of the opening up flush with the inner door panel. Then a rectangular patch was welded into place. After a bunch of grinding, the panel is ready to cut.
I remember reading a quote once. I think it was by Lil' John Buttera. He was asked how he made some of his parts. He responded something to the effect that he starts with a chunk of metal and cuts away anything that does not resemble the part he wanted. I like that concept.
So, tonight (since I didn't feel like working on the door!) I tackled the lower support bracket for the windshield wiper motor. The kit had a strap which was supposed to hook into the stock dash somewhere. Since the stock dash is gone and the wiper motor is mounted on a custom made main bracket, the strap brace wasn't going to work.
I started with a chunk of 2 x 3 rectangular tube since I had it on hand. After a bunch of cutting, grinding, heating, bending, and drilling, this is what was left. Elegant in its simplicity, if I do say so myself. It now will securely mount the lower portion of the main bracket to the brake pedal support.