I am always amazed at what turns up at swap meets. Today, Ford FE stuff seemed to be popping up everywhere. The first photo is one of three, count them, three FE 3 X 2 intake set ups. This one was the "cheap" one at $1000. The next photo is the "expensive" one at $1600. There was a third one at $1200 which I did not photograph. Note the 427 heads for $700 next the the intake setup.
The Edsel is a 2 door hardtop. The price was marked as $3.5000. Not sure what that was all about. At $3,500, it was probably a good buy. At $35,000, not even close. At $3.50, I would have bought it!
The good news - I only spent $28.
The bad news - $13 was for food and parking.
The good news - I bought 5 tee shirts at $2 each so my wife can throw out the ones with rust stains and weld burns.
The bad news - The remaining $5 was for a Bender Geetar (The wife said I had too many guitars - I tell her I am still trying to find one that works!)
First time to Muscle Car Ranch. It is about 10 minutes from the fair grounds where the Chickasha meet is held. This year MSR had their swap meet the same weekend as the Chickasha meet. There wasn't much at the Muscle Car Ranch. But what was there was interesting. Worth the trip. In addition to the swap meet vendors, there were old signs and old cars sitting around. There were 8 Toronados. Five of them are in the photo.
The release mechanism was bent, welded on, and tweaked in order to clear the channel while keeping the latch opening close to the center line.
The cover will have to be modified and a flange will have to be made and welded in place before the cover can be mounted.
The release cable was temporarily routed to verify that it will work. The mounting nut will need another access opening. The solenoid for electrical popping will probably use the same access opening.
One down side was realized when the closed trunk was checked. The trunk portion of the latch will extend a skull creasing 3-1/2" off the inside of the trunk. The alternative would be to have a "box" on the tail pan extension which would make trunk access more difficult. We will just have to watch our heads when moving around near the open trunk.
I ordered one 3 point belt from Juliano's. I am going to use it as a test mule to determine what types of belts will go where. The belt and some extra brackets arrived on Friday. Nice stuff.
I was going to get some 3 mm expanded PVC sheet to start building interior panels. I ended up canceling my vacation day on Friday, so I didn't get the PVC.
I went out shopping for a stereo while it was still too cold to work this morning. Got some ideas but didn't find what I was looking for.
So, since the interior work has come to a standstill, I decided to start on something which is a little easier on my knees.
The support channel under the tail pan extension was measured and the locations were transferred to the tail pan extension. The blue line is the car center line. The green is the approximate maximum inside dimensions of the channel. The red line is where the cuts would be made.
The cuts were made with great care. Hopefully, the removed portion will be used as the cover.
The approach angle at the end of the trunk lid travel is approximately 35 deg. The latch needs to sit at 55 deg. to match. A bracket was made. Holes were drilled for the mount and nuts were welded to the back side. Finally, the bracket was welded into the channel.
The cover and all of the foam is now removed from the seat bottom. The sides are crooked as a dog's hind leg. The bottom is going to require a lot of work.
I have looked at photos of the back seat in other 41 - 48 Chevs. They all looked like they were deeper (front to back) than the base would allow. Additionally, the Chrysler seat was too deep for the base and I figured I would have to cut it that way as well as the width. Then I remembered a piece that came with the car. I drug it out and sure enough, it fits in front of the base, extending it out. Now it is too deep. I need to get some advice from Dan Two Lakes!
The piece is going to need rebuilt or replaced. Three of the stand offs which are supposed to attach to the base are rusted out. I will be glad when the interior work is done!