The AC guy was able to get free and come over today. He spent a lot of time looking it over and giving me some pointers on the install. Left a couple of pieces of hose so I can verify routing. Thanks Chris.
The good news is that the positioning was OK. So, I quit working on the back seat (did I mention is dislike working on interior items?).
I had to make a bracket for the motor support. It attached nicely to the top right firewall pad bolt.
The center back bracket posed a bit more of a challenge. I finally decided to make a 90 deg. bend in the very top of the VA supplied bracket. I then located where the hole in the bracket would be on the cowl vent opening. The flange was flattened with a hammer and dolly. The hole was drilled. A 1/4" x 1" bolt was dropped in and welded to the body.
Finally, the two brackets on the front had the holes drilled. The brackets were installed. This baby is solid!
The lower mounts were straightened, cut, and welded back together. The stock bottom clips on the body were cut away to clear the modified mounts. These hit the boxed in brace on the floor directly behind the brace. I may get a nut-sert tool and inserts for these mounts.
I made one bracket for the top mount since I was not sure if this mounting arrangement would work. The seat back was mocked up one more time in the car. This time it was centered better in an attempt to determine its final resting place. Unfortunately, the bracket ended up half floating in space. A filler panel was made and welded into place. Finally, the seat back was installed and centered one more time. The location of the bracket was marked. A little weld through primer and the driver's side is finished. Looks good. I need to make the parts for the right side.
When I bought the car, it only came with the back seat back. The front seat and the back seat bottom were long gone. The back seat back was close to gone.
When I bought the front seats, the back seat from the car they were out of came with the deal. The whole deal was so cheap, the back seat was gravy. But it was too wide. I figured if I completely destroyed it by modifying it, I was only out my time.
So, today I started cutting down the seat back.
2" had to be removed from the top and a whopping 9-1/2" had to be removed from the bottom. The side pieces had to have curves created to clear the wheel housings.
In addition to the cutting, welding, and grinding, a great deal of time was spent on the shrinker and stretcher. Some of the parts were also manipulated with heat from the torch.
At the end of the day, it fit pretty good. The springs still need a little tweaking. There are some spring clips which still need to be reinstalled. The lower mount brackets need to be shortened and the top mount brackets need pockets built and welded to the car. Hopefully the upholsterer will be able to make covers without a pattern. I am keeping the stock covers to provide a starting point. For the most part, I think they will work. The bottom will be next up.
Since the AC unit was not going to be finalized, I decided to finish the hood release cable. Tuesday night the engine was put back in the car and the front sheet metal was assembled. This was done primarily to verify the AC and heater hoses locations. I put a couple of cable clamps on the left fender to position the cable. When complete, there will be at least 3 more, maybe 4. A bracket was made from 14 ga. sheet and attached where the stock cable clamp used to hold the factory cable. I find it fascinating that these cars had inside hood releases from the factory. The cable and housing were cut to length and assembled. The hood latch was adjusted so the hood would close and latch. It all works!
Saturday, the brake pedal support was cut to remove the last bolt hole which was not needed. The support and wiper motor were installed. The AC unit was put in place, held by c-clamps and vise grips. I was hoping the sales guy would come out tonight to verify it was in a good spot. Unfortunately, he was not able to make it. At issue is whether the heater control valve, receiver/dryer, AC hoses, heater hoses, and the right side duct will all fit in the space shown. I fairly certain it will all fit provide hoses can be made which will provide the correct angles. Hopefully he will be able to make it on Friday to take a look at it.
In one of the photos you can see the brackets which were cut out and bent tonight. Once the final location is determined, these will have holes drilled in the and they will be welded to the cross tube. They will replace the flimsy multi-hole pieces which were used temporarily.