Both rear armrests got two layers of mat about 1 inch wide on the unsupported edges. This is to add rigidity for stretching the upholstery over the part.
The bad section of the flange was cut off the right rear armrest. It was put back in the car. a section of fleece was cut and put in place. Resin was applied. a section of fiberglass cloth was added to reinforce the joint between the two pieces of fleece.
The left rear armrest received a layer of cloth with resin.
With the cold (relatively) damp weather, the resin is not kicking quick or hot. It went much slower tonight than it did when it was bouncing off 100. So, the edges didn't get trimmed and the right rear armrest still needs a cloth layer. But basically, the interior can be stripped and prepped for primer and lizard skin alternative.
The metal leading edge received the final shrinking and stretching. Holes were drilled and the nut-serts installed. The metal leading edge was epoxied to the original wood form.
While the epoxy was curing, the door panel was fit and trimmed. There is still some fine tuning to be done, but that may be left up to the upholstery shop. Time will tell.
With the epoxy cured, the fleece was trimmed to fit the leading edge. Contact cement was applied to the fleece and the wood/metal form. Once it had set, the fleece was attached to the form.
This side was done a bit differently. I learned from the first one. I used a stapler to ''stitch'' the fleece all the way back to the rear most portion. The passenger side will need to be fixed because I did not do this and it pulled away from the card as a result. Push pins were also used to position the flange created by the fleece above the rest.
The card/armrest assembly was installed in the car. Resin was applied. 14 oz. in fact. The fleece seems to drink it up. I will be getting one more quart. A gallon the hard way!
Last night more resin was put on the right rear. This thing sucked up the resin. 6 oz. on the outside and 6 oz. on the inside. And it still has spots that need more. And I think I am going to have to put a layer of cloth on it to make it smooth and strong. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have bought a gallon.
I also learned from the other side. I had to pop some foam blocks in the right side to ''puff'' it up in spots. For the left side, the cap on the end of the wood from the original armrest was cut larger so, hopefully, no foam will be required. The metal upright was shrunk/stretched in the fore/aft direction. The left/right will be done when to match the card, not the other side.
Another change. Instead of foil, fleece, plastic wrap, this side got foil, fleece, foil. The plastic wrap was just too difficult to work with.
The wheel house was covered with aluminum foil. Then a layer of fleece was fitted to space the final piece away from the wheel house so a pad can be added to prevent the armrest from rubbing on the wheel house. Finally a layer of plastic wrap was applied.
A piece of fleece was contact cemented to the upright of the armrest frame. It was stretch and stapled to the wood and then installed on the card. The entire assembly was then installed in the car.
The fleece was stretched and resin was applied. Unfortunately, the fleece really sucked up the resin and I ran out of time before I could completely cover the outside.
We are in for some really hot weather, so I am not sure when I will be able to finish the resin work and move on to the other side.