Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 597
Views: 163298
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (120): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

04-24-2009 09:44 PM Making the Chin Fit
The swap meet was big. I was surprised how many vendors. Bought a fan. May go back tomorrow to see if any new stuff shows up on Saturday.

I decided I needed to get the chin to fit before I went on with the horn baffles. There are two support angles than attach to the radiator core support. These will have to be moved before the chin will fit.

The speed nut also needs to move 3/4". I decided the the best way to do it was to move the tab. A 3/4" section was cut out the the tab with the speed nut moved.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #192]

04-23-2009 10:46 PM Horn Baffle III
There were several times I thought it might make more sense to start with a flat piece of sheet and custom make a new piece.

Once it was cut and tacked together, the baffle was test fit to the car. I liked the way it started to come together.

There are still some places that need welds. I also have a lot of grinding to do. But I think when it is done, it will pull of the factory look. Time will tell.

Going to the Creek County swap meet tomorrow. And Saturday. If the wind doesn't kick up too bad, I will also have to paint the room that was lifted last year. Busy three day weekend!



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #191]

04-23-2009 10:40 PM Horn Baffle II
After some measuring, it looked like the best plan of attack was to cut 3/4" out of the baffle up to the hump.

My first thought was to cut out the horn recess and replace it with a flat panel. After looking at it, I thought it might be easier to work the recess to maintain a more stock look. We shall see.

After the angle is cut off the baffle, a couple of templates were made to guide opening up the angle to fit the part correctly.

A lot of hammering and bending followed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #190]

04-21-2009 09:47 PM Horn Baffles And Other Front Sheetmetal
I managed to score a set of horn baffles off ebay. So, if I screw the first set up, I will have a second chance.

Tonight, the horn bracket on the left baffle was removed. It was then clamped in place to see what was going to have to happen for it to fit. Unlike the inner fender, it needs more than a slice and brake. The bottom flange will have to be broke until it is parallel to the centerline of the car and then it will have to be moved toward the outside of the car by about 5/8". This is going to be a bit trickier. Time to sleep on it.

The fenders and hood were hung on the car to see how things are going to fit together. On the whole, I probably didn't do a lot of work tonight, but what did get done sure feels good.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #189]

04-21-2009 09:41 PM Inner Fender Panels
I haven't ordered the fan. Going to wait and see if anything turns up at the swap meet this weekend.

Regardless, the radiator stays. I just have to figure out how to make it all work.

So attention was turned to the inner fender panels. There is a bulge which had to have a relief cut so it would fold back on itself. This was made 1-5/8" back from the front edge of the panel. A cut from the front of the panel back to the relief cut was then made at the top of the bulge. Finally, the bottom portion of the flange was broke at 1-5/8" back from the front edge. The panel was then bolted to the cowl and the radiator support. A pie shaped piece will have to be cut and welded in the cut at the kick-out.

The same procedure was repeated on the other side. Bolting the second one on was a real rush. After Saturday, it feels a lot better seeing progress.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #188]

Pages (120): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.