Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 604
Views: 165265
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121

04-21-2009 09:47 PM Horn Baffles And Other Front Sheetmetal
I managed to score a set of horn baffles off ebay. So, if I screw the first set up, I will have a second chance.

Tonight, the horn bracket on the left baffle was removed. It was then clamped in place to see what was going to have to happen for it to fit. Unlike the inner fender, it needs more than a slice and brake. The bottom flange will have to be broke until it is parallel to the centerline of the car and then it will have to be moved toward the outside of the car by about 5/8". This is going to be a bit trickier. Time to sleep on it.

The fenders and hood were hung on the car to see how things are going to fit together. On the whole, I probably didn't do a lot of work tonight, but what did get done sure feels good.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #189]

04-21-2009 09:41 PM Inner Fender Panels
I haven't ordered the fan. Going to wait and see if anything turns up at the swap meet this weekend.

Regardless, the radiator stays. I just have to figure out how to make it all work.

So attention was turned to the inner fender panels. There is a bulge which had to have a relief cut so it would fold back on itself. This was made 1-5/8" back from the front edge of the panel. A cut from the front of the panel back to the relief cut was then made at the top of the bulge. Finally, the bottom portion of the flange was broke at 1-5/8" back from the front edge. The panel was then bolted to the cowl and the radiator support. A pie shaped piece will have to be cut and welded in the cut at the kick-out.

The same procedure was repeated on the other side. Bolting the second one on was a real rush. After Saturday, it feels a lot better seeing progress.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #188]

04-18-2009 10:30 PM Radiator Core Support XIII
Well, if the Sable wasn't bad enough!

I pulled the front sheet metal off the 41 and dropped the engine and tranny in. After bolting the radiator to the core support, I tried it to see if it would fit. Unfortunately, it lacks about two inches of clearing. I don't want to modify the driver's side of the firewall. Unfortunately, that is what it would take to use the radiator / fan combo shown here.

Put the radiator in without the fan. After some measuring, it looks like a 118 Flex-a-lit will do the trick. I better get one on order.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #187]

04-18-2009 10:24 PM Work on the Sable?
The guy that looked the car over for my wife said it needed a front wheel bearing, tie rod end, and both sway bar struts.

I needed to put the front suspension back under the 41 so I could have plenty of room. I also needed the jack stands.

I needed lug nuts so the 41 would roll. So, I go get the lug nuts and all the parts I was told I needed for the Sable.

Pushed the car outside and took these photos.

Checked out the Sable and none of the parts were bad. The ball joints are questionable, but the other parts were fine. My wife took back everything but the lug nuts.

Oh well.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #186]

04-16-2009 09:53 PM Core Support XII
I am the envy of my friends. My wife loves to mow the lawn. We used to fight over who got to do the mowing. I finally gave in and let her do the mowing. (Don, eat your heart out!)

So, tonight I changed the oil in it and aired up the tires so she can get after the grass.

I also finished the other side of the core support. Same technique as the other side. It went a bit quicker since I had a better idea of how to complete it.

I will finish the welds and tie up other loose ends once I am sure this will work.

I did a final fit of the radiator to make sure it will fit. The radiator is now 1-3/4" closer to the front of the car at the bottom than it was going to be with the original plan which would have spaced it 3/4" away from the support.

I will have to work on the front end of the Sable this weekend. Hopefully, I can still assemble the front suspension of the 41, drop in the engine, and then check to see if this core support modification will allow the engine to clear the fans. I have my fingers crossed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #185]

Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.