Well, the condenser was in stock but the line kits were supposed to come in Friday. They didn't. Since I didn't want to mock up the condenser without the lines, and I didn't want to make two trips for parts, I decided to pick them up next week when everything is in.
So, I started working on the driver's seat.
The four bolts had to be knocked out first. The have a square shoulder which is swaged in the hole. I wanted to save them in case I reuse them. So I double nutted them and beat them out with a big hammer. Got all four of them out with only damage to the nuts.
I then powered the seat track forward and made a reference mark. Then I powered it back and made another reference mark. Measure and divide by two, make a mark, and power the seat to the mid-point. I want the seat to be mid-travel when I mount it. I figure I am average and that will allow for adjustment for bigger and smaller folks should I sell the car. OK, I'm not average, but I am close. I am a 6 foot guy with the legs of someone who is 5'-8"!
What you can't see well in the middle photo is the fact that I also raised and lowered the front and back of the track, measured, and set both front an back at their respective middles.
I knew I was going to be making a lot of marks on the floor. I wanted to see them easily. So I cleaned the floor with lacquer thinner and shot some rattle can gray primer. I then measured and marked the centerline of the car with a Sharpie.
Wow. 200 posts. 2 years and 8 months. Will I ever get it done?
The radiator was reinstalled on the core support and put back in the car.
I did take a minute to admire the way the tank fits the modified support. I think I will do the final mounting with hex socket button head stainless cap screws. Easier to tighten and easier on the eye.
A quick test fit of the thicker Flex-a-lite Syclone fan shows that I have room to spare. I think I have hit on a combination that is going to work. The AC condenser and line kit is supposed to be here tomorrow. Hopefully, I can move on to the seats, steering column and brakes after this weekend.
We have gone from cold and wet to hot and humid. It was brutal out there tonight. Must get car done before August.
The transmission was sitting too close to the floor. The mount rests on the top of the existing cross member. This cross member is actually a k-member. I intend to build a new one from 2 x 3 rectangular tubing. But for now, this rusted out original does a fine job of holding the tail shaft up.
Two slots were cut. Then heat and beat. This will lower the tail of the tranny about an inch.
Once the modification cooled, it was time to drop the engine and tranny back in. The drop amount was perfect. The engine sits i there nice. I need to massage the passenger side of the firewall to make some clearance to the head and valve cover. There is clearance now, it just need a little bit of safety factor. The distributer will either need the firewall massaged, or I will have to go with an non-HEI unit. I think I am going to go with a pre-75 GM with a conversion kit.
Small fillers were cut to "cap" the top where the flange was pulled away from the core support at the top.
After a lot of welding and grinding, the core support will need just a thin skim coat to look like it was stamped this way.
A final check with the radiator to assure it still fits. I also test fit the 16" thin fan I got at the swap meet. My initial thought was to mount it low and put twin 7 inch units at the top. Problem is, even with the thin fan, I will have to move the engine back. That means firewall modifications. I am not leaning toward mounting the 16" puller high (it will fit that way without moving the engine back) and putting a 16" pusher low in front of the condenser. I guess if it were easy, everyone would do it.
So, until I get the condenser, the core support has reached a stopping point. I hope to have the condenser by next weekend.
It was cold and wet today. I think it was 56 when I went out and 58 when I came back in.
While the left side had basically the same size triangles, the left side was larger for the horn baffle but smaller for the inner fender. Strange. Thing is, they all look basically the same. Must have been the way they were cut and bent.
The triangles were tacked in place on the car and then taken to the bench to finish welding and grinding.
Now that both inner fenders and both horn baffles are welded, I turned my attention to the radiator support for finishing. The first thing I did was weld up the not-through cut I made on both side which facilitated bending.