Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 616
Views: 174498
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

07-12-2014 09:04 PM Under Rear Seat
Now that the side panels have their base layer made, the location of the under the rear seat panel had to be established so the mounting holes could be drilled. The fabrication of the arm rests will also be dependent on how the under panel ''spreads'' the side panels.

The seat bottom was installed and measured. There was quite a bit to be removed from the stand-offs. I decided to not weld them since they are going to be so short. They were cut to length, the channel was cut back to clear the seat riser, and the tabs this created were flattened.

Moving the panel back in the car also placed it over a different floor profile. The ends needed the brake to be relocated. trimmed, and slightly folded over.

The panel received cuts at both ends to clear the frame and notches near the ''catches'' where the round rod connects to the frame.

Shims were used to represent the carpet and pad. The tabs were bent to locate the panel correctly. Self drilling/tapping screws were installed. The locations of the side holes were marked on the side panels.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #576]

07-11-2014 10:42 PM Interior Panel Cards
The wife picked up two sheets of PVC. Not sure why I thought I needed three more. Senior moment I guess.

Cut the hole for the window regulators on both panels. Drilled and installed Clecos on the left panel. Also drilled the holes for the seat belts on that panel.

Then, one by one, the Clecos were pulled out, the hole drilled out to 1/4'', and Auveco clips were installed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #575]

07-10-2014 09:16 PM Interior Panel Cards
The right panel was moved over to the left side to assure it was close to the correct size. The right panel was then placed on the remainder of the 4 x 8 sheet it was cut from, traced, and the left panel was cut out.

The right panel was trimmed at the front and around the window opening. Holes were located for what will eventually have Auveco clips passed through. For now, Clecos hold the panel tight against the metal panel. The holes for the seat belt mounts were located and drilled. The top spacer is overlapped by the window garnish, so I will have some modification work to do.

The first Cleco was installed on the left panel. The panel was then marked for trimming. Friday night or Saturday. Time will tell.

I also realized that two 4 x 8's will not be anywhere near enough material. The wife will hopefully pick up 3 more for me tomorrow.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #574]

07-09-2014 08:58 PM Interior Panel Cards
I still haven't decided if I am going to use the wood from the old, original armrests or make new. I am leaning toward cutting up the 73 year old armrests and using the original wood as the starting point. Additionally, as if the resin on fleece for the speaker enclosures wasn't enough punishment, I think that is the process I am going to use for the armrest bases.

Some masking tape was attached to the floor and the window box to establish the leading edge of the armrest for future reference.

Masking paper was cut, taped together, taped to the interior panel, and cut to shape. The paper was then removed and attached to the 1/8'' PVC foam board. The leading edge was extended out by the width of the masking tape (1''). The rest of the perimeter was marked with a silver Sharpie.

A variable speed saber saw was used with a 24t metal blade to cut the panel. After some minor trimming, a single Cleco was installed to hold in place.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #573]

07-07-2014 10:47 PM Tack Strips
Made and installed the driver's side tack strip this evening.

Pulled the old headliner off the shelf to verify that it does not extend down the B-pillar. Did a preliminary measure for the cards on the rear seat sides. Pulled one of the foamed PVC sheets out so I can start laying out the cards. Did a preliminary measurement to see how to lay out the cards. Ready to start marking and cutting!

I also looked over one of the stock arm rests, trying to determine if make sense to build new wood pieces or modify the stock wood pieces.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #572]

Pages (124): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.