Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 604
Views: 165316
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121

08-09-2008 10:49 PM MII Hat Removal
I can't remember how many measurements I made before I had Don weld the hats on. I may have missed the rake of the car. Anyway, once the car was on the ground, it was obvious that it would be difficult to obtain a 4 or 5 deg. positive caster. The upper shock mounts would also have to be "pulled" forward to fit. I just flat had the hats too far forward.
The car was put up on jack stands, making sure the frame angle matched the on-the-ground angle. The side to side level was checked and was dead on. The suspension was jacked up, one side at a time, until the lower a-frame was level. A plumb bob was dropped of the lower ball joint so an axle centerline could be marked on the floor. This will be for future reference when the new hats go back on. Finally, the hats were cut off and the welds ground smooth. Other than the shiny spots on the frame and my slightly lighter bank account, you would never know the hats had been installed wrong.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #159]

08-09-2008 10:38 PM Marking the Firewall Before Engine Out
The "rake" was checked so when the car was put up on jack-stands, the angle on the ground could be duplicated. Then the front sheet metal was removed. Before the engine was removed, I broke out the valve covers and marked the firewall for the cut. I allowed for enough room on the top so I could remove the covers with the engine in the car. The clearance on the sides was set for a little "rock". I'm still hoping I don't have to do this, but I am getting prepared. I need to modify the radiator support first. But before I do that, I need to put the fender panels in place to make sure the support is correctly located. Before I can put the fender panels in, I have to cut them to clear the MII. Before I do that, I have to get the MII hats in the correct location (I missed on locating them the first time around). So the engine came out and was set aside for now.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #158]

08-07-2008 10:46 PM Moving Stuff Around
I am still hoping I don't have to recess the firewall and move the engine back. But it is not looking good.
Tonight I set the front sheetmetal on and moved the car over to the center bay. I did it because I am a little short on room. I was also hoping the "look" would boost my incentive (it did)!



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #157]

07-30-2008 08:30 PM I Got Good News, I Got Bad News
I finished installing the March drive kit tonight. I am really impressed with this kit.
But..........
I installed the radiator support and did some measuring. A two inch recessed firewall isn't going to provide enough clearance. And I didn't want a recessed firewall at all! I need to see if I can recess the radiator into the support. I may also have to run the top fan as a puller and the bottom one as a pusher. Not too thrilled about this, but I will work something out.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #156]

07-28-2008 08:25 PM Installed the March Drive (Almost)
After work, it was 102 F by the thermometer on the front porch. I sat in front of the fan and cleaned the front of the heads and block, chasing the bolt holes with a tap. Then I started assembling and installing the March drive. This is a great set-up! The instructions could use more photos and exploded views. And, for the life of me, I couldn't find an allen wrench to fit the pulley cover machine screws. But this thing fits great. All high quality pieces. Glad I got it over trying to piece stuff together off of other engines. Didn't get to the AC compressor before it started getting dark. Wednesday night. Hopefully I can get it installed and test fit the radiator on the same night. I will say this; the engine is going to have a major clean up to look right with this drive kit!


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #155]

Pages (121): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.