Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 583
Views: 156954
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (117): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

05-09-2008 09:52 PM Finishing the Cowl Brace
The new cowl patch panels won't be here until some time next week. The brace still needed to be finished. I had to make the brace from three major pieces. I also had to patch in two smaller pieces. I am happy how this one turned out. It is not perfect, but it fits and will function properly. I made sure to test fit it several times during the fabrication, so it fit when it was done. I will get it coated and welded in before the patch panels arrive. I think I am going to redo the passenger side piece now that I have a better original to take measurements from.
Tomorrow I will be going to the spring swap meet at Chickasha. I will probably post photos when I get back.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #133]

05-09-2008 09:46 PM My Cowl Died
Thursday night I was hoping to clean up the parts so I could coat them with POR-15 so I could weld them together on Friday. After a little sandblasting, it became apparent the cowl bottom was far too pitted to leave it as is. After figuring what all would need to be cut out and patched, I came in to the computer and ordered cowl repair panels for both sides from Chev's of the 40's. Not real happy to be spending $210, but at least there won't be an unpleasant cowl bottom surprise a couple years down the road.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #132]

05-07-2008 08:18 PM Making the Cowl Brace
I used an angle copying tool to mark the main bend lines on a flat piece of steel. Measurements were pulled from the original and laid out on the piece.
After braking the sides and bottom, the shrinker and stretcher were used to shape the piece. The original part was placed on cardboard and the shape was traced so the new piece could be verified.
Then the tornado sirens started going off, so I called it a night and closed up the garage. Hopefully I can get the brace finished tomorrow night.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #131]

05-05-2008 10:16 PM Grinding / Moving to the Cowl Bottom
Given the choice between grinding welds and root canal surgery, I would have to think about it for a while before deciding.
Ground the butt welds and rosettes on the floor panel. Shot some rattle can primer to cut down on flash rusting. There may be some spots which will need to be welded from the bottom side, but I will get those when I have the body up on the rotisserie. For now, it just needs to be in there and solid. It is.
Moved on to the cowl bottom. I originally planned on leaving the inner brace in and just patching the outer panel. I finally had to see how bad the insides were. Glad I did it. I think I will make a new inner brace. This one is all there, but it is very thin with holes in spots. I won't have to worry about rust through in the near future.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #130]

05-04-2008 07:42 AM Floor Welding Done (Almost)
When it comes to welding, I can go from idiot to genius to idiot in 4 seconds. Yesterday was an "idiot" day. I put in one weld I was happy with. But, I did get all of the butt welds and the plug welds done. I even started the grind process. I have also started welding the A pillar to the rocker box.
Yesterday was also "garage sale day", "get the extra set of keys made for the new truck day", "get a quote on the hail damage day", and "have the electrician out to fix the whole house attic fan day". In addition to all that, Friday night we had to rearrange the garage so we could put everything inside, away from the hail we received in several storms that rolled through. So, before I could work, I had to move everything back to the "work" location. With all this, it's a wonder I got anything done at all.
On a plus, the old truck sold. We took it for a test run in the back yard (no insurance - BIG backyard!). It ran great! I told the guy all that was wrong with it. Hopefully it will be a simple fix and he can get a lot of years out of it.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #129]

Pages (117): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.