Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 543
Views: 146139
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (109): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109

12-01-2007 07:24 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part 20
Remember in entry #49 (Window Box Notes) how I told you to measure and record the locations of the rivet holes? You will use that info now. X marks the spot to drill.
The front channel was riveted to the box. The location of the back channel hole was unknown, so the box was put in the car, the rear channel was attached at the top mount, and a Sharpie was placed through the back hole while the channel was pushed against it. The hole was drilled and the rear channel was riveted in.
Finally, the box was put back in the car, the window felt channel was put in, the regulator installed, and the window installed. The goal here is to make sure there are no major problems now. All the welding yet to do is going to move stuff around anyway, so final tweaking will have to wait.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #88]

12-01-2007 07:12 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part 19
The channels are made from scrap pieces of 18 ga. The original pieces are used for the dimensions.
The pieces are then cut out and the locations for the holes are marked. There was not enough of a rear piece left to mark the hole location, so it was marked during the test fit in the car.
The two channels were then broke into shape.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #87]

11-24-2007 05:41 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part 18
The panel was test fit to the car to assure the modifications cleared the enlarged recess. Everything is looking good.
Assuming it is not too cold next weekend, the window channels have to be made and installed in the box. Weather permitting, the window box is close to being permanently re-installed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #86]

11-24-2007 05:35 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part XVII
The side track of putting the Bear Claw latches in is finally at an end. For now at least. They are not completely in, but they are in enough to allow work to resume on the window box.
The stretched recess required to clear the new bulge in the door requires modifications to the tack strip channel. The curved portion was cut out and dropped down approximately 1-1/4". I didn't actually measure it, I just marked it while it was in the car. The straight section which was cut out to make room for the curved section was then modified and welded back in above the curved section.
The section above the stretch requires that the channel be flattened in order to clear the captured nut on the Bear Claw installation piece.
I also cleaned the hook and welded it to the panel. I forgot to do this on the other side, so I will probably mess up the paint and seam sealer when I put it in.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #85]

11-24-2007 05:24 PM Bear Claws
Got off to a slow start this morning. Kinda chilly.
First, I had to adjust the belt on the compressor. I think the pump is going out, but I have to limp it along as long as I can.
Then I had to take a two hour break to help load the hot tub my wife gave away. Long story. It needed some repair. I wanted to have it fixed and keep it. My wife wanted it gone. At least now I don't have to worry about getting it fixed.
Finally, got to work on the car. Fired up the sandblaster and cleaned up the inside of the jamb. Cut and bent the ends of the installation kit part for the jamb and cleaned it up. I had to heat the jamb and the kit part before I could spray them with weld-thru primer. Then I kept the halogen lamp on them until they dried. In the last photo you can see the heat marks from the rosettes from the outside.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #84]

Pages (109): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.