Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 574
Views: 154380
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (115): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115

04-05-2008 11:23 PM Fourth Part Made (Almost)
The inner panel bottom is ready to install. I say almost because I did not make the tack strip channel. I will add it once the B pillar is complete.
The existing inner panel was sandblasted. After fitting, the new bottom was welded in place. Rosettes were used to attach the new section to the floor.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #114]

04-01-2008 10:41 PM Third Part Made
The floor section has been welded in. I turned my attention to the lower front of the wheel house. The remains of the piece cut out were used as a template to cut a new piece out of flat stock. The part was bent after cutting to fit the contour. Finally, vise grips held it in place to check the fit. Three down, two to go.
If you look close, you can see the floor is sticking out too far. I was afraid this might be the case, but the floor section fit so good, I didn't want to start over. I knew this would be an easy fix. I cut a wedge out near the edge, pushed the edge in, and welded it. This part will not be seen once the car is complete, so the bend in the edge doesn't matter.
The next step will involve fitting the outer quarter skin. In preparation, I cut a little bit more of the old skin off. I still can not believe the piled up weld on the inside of the jamb.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #113]

03-29-2008 09:06 PM Bump Stop - Rust - Floor
Cold and dreary today. Got a late start.
First order of business was to measure the rear suspension travel so I could get the bump stops ordered. With the shock fully compressed it was 4 inches above the mount. The axle housing was 6-1/2 inches from the frame rail. I ordered Energy Suspensions 9.9109R stops. These are only 2-1/2" tall. I figure I can make a mounting bracket which will add 1/2". The bump stop will have to compress 1/2" before the shock bottoms out. That may be enough for these T-Town roads. Time will tell.
I marked and cut out the front bottom of the wheel well. After it was gone, I cut out the rest of the rot. This photo reminds me, I need to get a tetanus booster.
Believe it or not, the last photo is the remains of the floor edge the PO had pounded down over the rusted rocker box (see entry # 98). All clean after sandblasting. All cut and shaped. Two of the required parts made, one purchased, and three to go. The good news is that the two completed are the tough ones.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #112]

03-28-2008 10:33 PM Drain / Brace
There are six major pieces required to fix all that rot in the rear quarter. The exterior panel which is from Chevs of the 40's (EMS). The floor extension which will be made from the piece the PO used to cover up the rocker rot. Then there are four parts which will have to be made from flat sheet stock. There will be the front bottom of the wheel house, an inner rocker panel extension which extends from the rocker box assembly back to the wheel house, the bottom of the interior vertical panel, and the drain/brace box which ties the inner rocker panel to the floor and acts as a drain box for the window box hose.
The cut, brake, and bead lines for the drain / brace were marked on a piece of 18 ga. The piece was cut out, the beads rolled, and the bends were made. It needs to be cleaned up, and there will be some fine tuning to fit, but the bulk of the work went rather quickly.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #111]

03-27-2008 09:13 PM More Welding and Cutting
Tonight I finished fitting and tacking the rocker box to the floor. Once everything is fitted and tacked, the weld will be completed by jumping around and doing about a half inch at each jump.
The quarter panel bottom was cut away. I left the B pillar bottom intact just to keep one reference point. As you can see, there is a lot of rot here.
I am not sure if you can see what is going on in the last photo. The PO mud dauberred MIG wire in and then ground the outside to the body contour! What a mess.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #110]

Pages (115): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.