Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 543
Views: 146117
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (109): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109

10-24-2007 08:36 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part XV
The holes are drilled. You can also see the patch for the overzealous cutting repair.
Up to this point, the fitting of the regulator was accomplished with both pieces of the box clamped together to assure a good fit. Now they were disassembled to finish up. The regulator was bolted to the metal using the stock nuts at the top and bolts and nuts on the bottom three. The nuts were welded to the panel. Make sure you throw the bolts away when you are done welding.
The regulator and cover sit pretty flat without bolting. A good sign.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #78]

10-24-2007 08:29 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part XIV
The regulator cover was test fit. So far so good.
The locations of the holes were marked through the regulator cover to verify the locations.
The regulator was installed to act as a guide for drilling the holes. The largest bit which would pass through the regulator holes was chosen. In this case, it was 19/64".


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #77]

10-24-2007 08:24 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part XIII
OK I decided to try plan A. I set the regulator cover on the panel and located it with 1 inch long 1/4" bolts in the remaining 3 holes. I marked the outline on the new metal.
The inner line was marked based on measurements from the removed metal.
The flange was rolled using the large flange dies on the bead roller. It is a little rough. First, a 24 inch throat would have been better than the 18 inch one I have. Second, my wife was away, so I had to crank and feed alone. I keep telling myself it will be under upholstery. You can see the place where I cut too much. That will get patched.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #76]

10-23-2007 10:27 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part XII
A large number of the welds were put in while the two pieces were attached to each other. This assures the part maintains it shape.
Areas over the flanges of the back panel were not welded if at all possible. This prevents accidentally welding the two parts together. There was one spot where the weld made contact with the flange below. A couple of twists freed it.
The penetrations were pretty good. There are a few spots where I will back gouge and weld in order to minimize the risk of a crack propagating from areas of incomplete penetration.
I have found that Dremel 409 cut off wheels mounted on a Dremel tool do a good job of making a helpful gap for penetration on 18 ga.
The last of the welds joining the old and new metal will be completed with the parts separated. Then they will be rejoined and the regulator mount will be created.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #75]

10-23-2007 10:16 PM Building the Window Box Panels Part XI
The cuts were made for the remaining bottom edges segments. The sides were trimmed to fit. Once the new panel fit on these three sides, the brake line and the bead lines were laid out by taking measurements from the removed piece and the remaining original panel.
The brake was made first. It is much easier to roll a bead over a brake than to brake a panel with a bead already rolled into it. As you can see, my bead roller had a shorter throat than the part required, so I had to adjust the location of the one vertical bead.
The top edges were measured, marked and cut. Care must be taken as it is easy to cut off too much. I have one spot where I cut more than I wanted. Fortunately, it was in an area where I was going to try something I do not have a high confidence level for success. So I have a plan B. It looks like I am going to have to go to plan B first. Once all the cuts are made, tacks were placed around the panel.
Two important notes.
First, the oval holes, one vertical one on the left of the last photo and one horizontal toward the right side of the photo, are there to allow access to the window attaching screws. You must have them in order to assemble and disassemble the glass and regulator.
Second, the window regulator hole is covered up. This will be corrected after this panel is completely welded to the remaining material.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #74]

Pages (109): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.