Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 584
Views: 157141
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (117): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

03-22-2008 08:07 PM Installing the Rocker Box
The box was slid into place, hopefully for the last time. Judicious use of clamps, pry bars, and hammers wrestled the box into location. A Dremel tool with a thin cut-off disc and a air body saw got the gaps right. Tack welds were put it as the alignment was done. The important thing about the tack welds is to put enough good ones in so they don't break during the fitting, but can be readily removed if the realignment is required or (heaven forbid) the box would need to come back out.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #109]

03-22-2008 07:59 PM Finishing Touches Front of Rocker Box
The front brace was in a lot better shape than the passenger side was. At first, I thought I could clean it up and re-use it. After I got it off, it was apparent it was too badly pitted. A replacement was fabbed up from flat stock.
The second photo shows the finished front from the bottom side. Weld through primer was sprayed on and holes were punched for the spot welds which attach the floor section to the braces.
The last photo shows the top of the finished box front. POR-15 was painted on the portion which will be under the A-pillar and inaccessible after installed.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #108]

03-22-2008 07:49 PM More Prep of the Rocker Box
Once the floor cleared the brace, the box slid in. The outer panel was intentionally cut a little long. The distance from the tab to the cowl support was measured. Then the same measurement was transferred from the edge of the original rocker box to the green cut line shown in the first photo.
The second photo shows the fit after the cut was made on the green line. The A-pillar bottom was a little more rotten than I had first thought. A replacement piece for the soft area was fabbed up. The old piece is lying on the floor. Also note that some pie cuts were made so the "hump" could be moved to the center of the car, allowing the rocker panel to move out, lining up with the original better.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #107]

03-21-2008 01:32 PM Initial Fitting of the Rocker Box
A portion of the rocker behind the door needs to be removed in order to allow the rocker box to be inserted and then slid forward. These cuts don't have to be accurate, but I did want to leave as much structure as possible. In the end, I had to lengthen the cut by 2 more inches from what is shown in the first photo. The floor section needs to be removed as well. The inner panel has to have the lower section replaced, so I removed it with the floor.
The first fit shows that the floor on the inside of the "hump" is too low. It has to go on top of the floor brace, not under it. I attempted to reform it with a body hammer. I gave up in short order and cut a pie shaped piece from the inside side of the hump and will weld it once the final shape is determined.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #106]

03-21-2008 01:22 PM Prepping the Front of the Rocker Box
The rocker boxes from Chevs of the 40's (EMS boxes) are too long. I decided to do the driver's side a little different than I did the passenger side.
First, the outer rocker was cut back 3-1/4".
The inner panel was cut back 2-1/2".
Finally, a series of cuts were made on the floor. The rectangular shaped box was removed. A cut was made along the hashed marked section. The resulting 1" x 1" tab will be bent down. This welds to the body cowl mounting box. I wasn't sure if the hash marked area needed to be removed or not. When the unit was test fit the first time, it became obvious that it has to be cut out.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #105]

Pages (117): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.