Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 592
Views: 160483
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119

03-29-2008 09:06 PM Bump Stop - Rust - Floor
Cold and dreary today. Got a late start.
First order of business was to measure the rear suspension travel so I could get the bump stops ordered. With the shock fully compressed it was 4 inches above the mount. The axle housing was 6-1/2 inches from the frame rail. I ordered Energy Suspensions 9.9109R stops. These are only 2-1/2" tall. I figure I can make a mounting bracket which will add 1/2". The bump stop will have to compress 1/2" before the shock bottoms out. That may be enough for these T-Town roads. Time will tell.
I marked and cut out the front bottom of the wheel well. After it was gone, I cut out the rest of the rot. This photo reminds me, I need to get a tetanus booster.
Believe it or not, the last photo is the remains of the floor edge the PO had pounded down over the rusted rocker box (see entry # 98). All clean after sandblasting. All cut and shaped. Two of the required parts made, one purchased, and three to go. The good news is that the two completed are the tough ones.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #112]

03-28-2008 10:33 PM Drain / Brace
There are six major pieces required to fix all that rot in the rear quarter. The exterior panel which is from Chevs of the 40's (EMS). The floor extension which will be made from the piece the PO used to cover up the rocker rot. Then there are four parts which will have to be made from flat sheet stock. There will be the front bottom of the wheel house, an inner rocker panel extension which extends from the rocker box assembly back to the wheel house, the bottom of the interior vertical panel, and the drain/brace box which ties the inner rocker panel to the floor and acts as a drain box for the window box hose.
The cut, brake, and bead lines for the drain / brace were marked on a piece of 18 ga. The piece was cut out, the beads rolled, and the bends were made. It needs to be cleaned up, and there will be some fine tuning to fit, but the bulk of the work went rather quickly.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #111]

03-27-2008 09:13 PM More Welding and Cutting
Tonight I finished fitting and tacking the rocker box to the floor. Once everything is fitted and tacked, the weld will be completed by jumping around and doing about a half inch at each jump.
The quarter panel bottom was cut away. I left the B pillar bottom intact just to keep one reference point. As you can see, there is a lot of rot here.
I am not sure if you can see what is going on in the last photo. The PO mud dauberred MIG wire in and then ground the outside to the body contour! What a mess.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #110]

03-22-2008 08:07 PM Installing the Rocker Box
The box was slid into place, hopefully for the last time. Judicious use of clamps, pry bars, and hammers wrestled the box into location. A Dremel tool with a thin cut-off disc and a air body saw got the gaps right. Tack welds were put it as the alignment was done. The important thing about the tack welds is to put enough good ones in so they don't break during the fitting, but can be readily removed if the realignment is required or (heaven forbid) the box would need to come back out.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #109]

03-22-2008 07:59 PM Finishing Touches Front of Rocker Box
The front brace was in a lot better shape than the passenger side was. At first, I thought I could clean it up and re-use it. After I got it off, it was apparent it was too badly pitted. A replacement was fabbed up from flat stock.
The second photo shows the finished front from the bottom side. Weld through primer was sprayed on and holes were punched for the spot welds which attach the floor section to the braces.
The last photo shows the top of the finished box front. POR-15 was painted on the portion which will be under the A-pillar and inaccessible after installed.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #108]

Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.