Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: redsdad's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View redsdad's profile Entries: 592
Views: 160667
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119

03-12-2008 08:26 PM Floor Work
The up side to daylight savings time is that I can get some work done during the week after my real job.
So tonight, I cut the floor over the brace, sand blasted the inside of the brace, and painted the inside of it with Por-15. What was amazing to me was the fact that the underside of the floor over the brace was shiny steel. Very little rust for a 67 year old car.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #102]

03-01-2008 09:05 PM Building the Window Box Part Final
Dynamat was applied to the inside of the quarter panel. It was also applied in four locations on the back of the box between the beads. This was done in case the "hump" which was removed was there to prevent the box from vibrating (see entry 66). The seam on the inside of the box was sealed with seam sealer to make it water tight. The inaccessible section of the wheel house to quarter panel seam was also sealed while it was still accessible. Finally, the box was installed, welded, and the welds ground down. There are a few odd welds which need to be finished. And I probably ought to check the window operation one last time. Other than that, it is on to the floor!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #101]

03-01-2008 08:48 PM Building the Window Box Part Final 1
Don said the body was smooth enough, so it is time to finish the window box.
First, some prep work was needed. The latch pocket got a back. I went to the sheet metal scrap bin and found a piece that was close and trimmed it up. The edge is folded over on itself to eliminate a sharp edge. The piece was then welded in.
The tab that the front lower tab on the box welds to was in need of repair. The scrap bin provided another piece which was cut and welded in.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #100]

02-09-2008 04:49 PM Fitting the Tranny Hump
I still need to have Don come over and approve my quarter panel top before I put the window box back in. So while that is on hold, I am working on getting ready to replace the floor, rocker box, quarter panel bottom, and lower front wheel house.
One of the things I hadn't got around to doing was drilling the holes for the tranny cover screws and then fitting the DSM tranny hump. I am still not sure if I am going to use the stock style screws or not. I am not sure how I feel about screws sticking out of the floor bottom. I may go with nutserts and machine screws. Regardless, I still have to get the holes in there.
Then I started fitting the DSM hump. I am not real thrilled with the fit. In hindsight, I am thinking I may have been better off making a tranny hump from scratch. The front is too tall and will have to be trimmed. The contour is not correct. The hump itself is not welded and has a large gap which will need to be drawn together and welded. I started working on the contour at the back where it mates with the tunnel hump. It's closer, but it still needs a lot of work.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #99]

02-09-2008 04:35 PM Getting Ready to Replace More Rust
Beautiful day today. A little brisk when I hopped in the truck to run my MIG bottle over to exchange it for a full one.
Then, my friend and co-worker from Switzerland came over to split wood. Adrian likes to do it the old fashioned way, so we swung axes for about 2-1/2 hours. We have been doing this nearly every weekend this year. Adrian's pile is in the foreground, mine is the small pile in the background.
After lunch, I finally got back to working on the 41. The PO had purchased the floor extension and installed it. No paint, just bare steel. I needed to save it in order to clean it and make the piece which goes at the back of the rocker box assembly under the lower quarter panel. In the second photo, you can see what the PO covered up with the replacement panel.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #98]

Pages (119): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.