Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: willys36@aol.com's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View willys36@aol.com's profile Entries: 206
Views: 288501
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (42): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

12-05-2005 10:55 PM hoist installation 1
I finally got my drywall done (110 sheets!) and the shop fairly clean so I decided to set up my hoist. It is a two poster w/ no overhead X-member.

Setup is a three man job so get some help.

The first two photos show how it came from the factory. The package weighs 1900# and I took delivery at the trucking place. They put it on a car flat bed and I took it off the flat bed with my chain hoist slung over the bare rafters. If you can get the trucker to home deliver, I recommend it! The two ends are held together with a couple of angle iron brackets that need to be unbolted. All the arms and stuff are inside the towers and must be taken out to reduce weight.

Photo 3 shows the motor/pump in a box and most of the heavy parts that were packed inside the towers. My son-in-law is unpacking the hardware kit.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #151]

11-12-2005 11:14 AM New shop goes in 6
Here are two shots of the paint booth. Drywall is hung (ended up hanging 110 sheets in the whole shop!) and taped and I have started the second coat of mud. Note the air inlet vents on either side of the door and the exhaust vent on the other end of the booth. I will cut them out eventually and put in filters. On the exhaust duct, I will build a fan house outside the shop and install the squirrel cage blowers from two junk 3000fm swamp coolers.

I have 14 40W, 4' florescent lights sunk into the wall and ceiling. Wired for two circuits; one for the 8 ceiling lights and one for the 6 wall lights. I plan on using full spectrum sunlight bulbs in here for best color rendering and more light. Quite a bit more expensive that the usual soft white bulbs but worth it for true color, more illumination and they last a whole lot longer.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #150]

10-14-2005 11:22 PM Willys tilt hood mechanism 3
These three figures show the features of the hood support rods. I designed them with hollow shafts so the light wiring is contained in them, protected and hidden. Again the figures are pretty descriptive.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #149]

10-14-2005 11:20 PM Willys tilt hood mechanism 2
Photo 1 shows the insert I made to slip into the stock Willys frame rail. It is a piece of 2x2 square steel tubing. Text on the picture describes the parts of the system.

The mechanis allows the hood to pop up slightly at the cowl, slide forward on ball bearing rollers about 7", then tilt up and forward without interference from the door hinges. Tilt rods are incorporated in the design to limit the hood travel so it doesn't go clear to the ground.

Figure 2 is a top and side view of the internal mechanism. I welded up an angle iron using plow steel (stronger than mild steel). One end of the bar was drilled and a simple bolted onto a bracket attached it to the bottom front skirt of the hood. The other end has a set of 4 industrial roller bearings ( I recall they are 3/4" OD with 1/4 " holes). They are postioned so they totally support the rod from touching the tube thus roll freely in and out.

We kept the stock Willys firewall which sticks about 8" into the engine compartment giving a great place to put a roller bearing and guide channel for the rear of the hood. As the hood tilts down to the cowl, two more of the industrial bearings attached to the center of the hood enter a square tubing channel. These plus the bearings on the rods in the frame allow the hood to roll back smoothly. I built a sharp drop in the guide channel so the hood drops onto the cowl at the very end of its travel. I used a trunk lock from some foreign car to latch the hood at the rear.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #148]

10-14-2005 11:04 PM Willys tilt hood mechanism 1
'Glas tilt front ends are very popular on '37-'42 Willys drag cars. Makes it easier to service the hemi in the engine bay. Unfortunately, the fenders extend way behind the front door hinges and the hinges interfere with the hood tilting up. Photo 1 shows the common fix - just cut part of the fender off and attach it to the body. That is period correct but not very pretty. When I was building a friend's '42 pickup (photo 2) we wanted a system that would allow full tilting hood yet look good when the hood was down.

The next couple of entries show what we came up with. It works super and hasn't given a bit of trouble for nearly 10 years of heavy use.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #147]

Pages (42): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42