Photo 1 shows the wiper drive mechanism removed form under the dash. The motor crank (left center), short drivers side arm (left), and long passenger side arm (modified to clear the radio as described in the previous page) are plainly shown. At the ends of the two arms are the '53 Chevy wiper shafts with integral cranks.
Photo 2 shows a close-up of how I spliced the VW motor crank end of the drive rod to the '53 Chevy wiper end of the rod. I simply cut the two to overlap an inch or so and braze them together. I got the length by measuring the distance between the elements while they were mounted in the truck.
Photo 3 shows the far end of the jog in the passenger side arm attached to the '53 wiper shaft. I wanted the jog to be rigid so used square tubing and made it beefy.
To mount the motor inside under the dash, I cut the center motor mount part from the rest of the VW bracket. Photo 1 is a shot of the wiper motor and bracket taken through the instrument cluster hole in the dash. Excuse the fuzziness of the photo but my automatic camera kept focusing in the rim of the dash instead of the bracket deeper inside the dash. I then welded sheet metal extensions on the ends (joints shown in violet on photo 1). Photo 2 shows the bottom extension of the bracket bolted to the steering column stiffener bracket that came from the factory.
Photo 3 shows how I had to put a jog in the drive arm from the motor to the passenger wiper arm to clear the radio. Also on this photo you can see the top sheet metal extension which I welded to a flange under the windshield.
Photo 1 shows the complete VW shafts and wiper arm assemblies that I used on my '36 Pontiac. Note that the wipers are aimed in opposite directions like they would be with vacuum wipers. I was able to get this effect by installing an idler crank that hooked to the wipers and was in turn driven by the VW wiper motor. The motor crank moves in a full circle but a push-rod form it moves the intermediate crank back and forth so I got the action I was looking for.
However, in keeping with my 'factory stock king cab' motif, I wanted to keep the '53 wiper externals as shown in photo 2. The only change to the exterior is shown in photo 3. Since the vacuum motor drive tab only nutated back and forth about 40degrees, the wipers had to be timed to sweep opposite each other. The VW crank turns in a full circle so the wiper move in unison in the same direction. Photo 3 show where I plugged th old wiper shaft hole in the cowl and cut a new one so the passenger wiper would operate in the proper orientation.
The truck body was recently painted and in the photos has been color sanded readying it for the final polish if you are wondering why it looks so dull!
One thing that had to be changed on the truck was that terrible vacuum windshield wiper system. Photo 1 shows the familiar old vacuum motor. At best it was inadequate, at worst, deadly. I have been fond of using the VW bug wiper system since it comes out of the donor car as a stand alone module and is very easy to adapt to most any car. Photo 2 shows the parts that I get from the donor, a switch, the motor and the bracket that holds the motor and the wiper shafts. The center is cut out of the bracket since I used it in mounting the system in the truck. I'll discuss that later in this report.
The wiper arms detailed in photo 3 can be used in the new cowl if desired as shown in the next page. Not shown are the rubber grommet and nut that hold it to the cowl (I don't have any examples at the time) but they are very simple to install.
Oh, and in some old posts in the Bulletin Board, I mistakenly stated that these are 3-speed when they are actually OFF/LO/HI speed. On second thought, that is 3 more speeds than the old vacuum units have!
I have had several questions about my car so rather than keep answering them over and over, here is a link http://hotrodders.com/projects/001/01.html to The old Project of the Week feature that Jon discontinued and replaced with these Project Journals.