Here are some photos of the Cyclopes headlight pod I made for the Mysterion. I designed it from exhaustive study of the Revell model kit (not very accurate it turns out), and a bunch of common and not so common photos I have collected. Photos are of the pattern I made from plywood screen wire and plaster. It had a coat of fiberglass ans is ready for many hours of bondo, sanding, priming and block sanding.
Ready for LOTS of priming, sanding, and spot putty!!
Shortening the bed 1' was easy. I drilled out the spot welds in the stake pockets and removed them, cut the bed off with a saber saw and fine cutting blade - wood, bed strips and all, then mounted the bed front back on and welded the stake pockets back on with spot welds in the drilled holes. 'Nuff said.
Photo 1 shows the cuts made, the panels bent and the first joint tacked down. All that is needed is a couple of wedges of filler sheet metal and some welds. Photo 2 shows a finished side ready for a coat of bondo.
Photo 3 shows the finished side insert from the inside. The window post in front lines up pretty well so a flat filler works great. Cut the inner front panel below the belt line that was left too long several steps ago to fit and weld. This results in solid welds inside and outside @ the door post that strengthens this vital area.
Note where I mounted the stock '53 pickup window riser mechanism in this narrowed door. It wouldn't fit and work if mounted near the stock location ( in fact it isn't even there any longer!). I added a window riser channel from the extra donor door, of course parallel to the one already in the door on the side that wasn't removed and added a short link w/ spherical rod ends from the riser arm to the center of a window frame. Works super!
With the outside done, I concentrated on the inside of the body. The top gets a headliner, the floor carpet, and the side panels get panels, so I just hammered and welded 'til they all fit together. The window area however gets covered with a thin layer of glued on upholstery so needs to be clean. Photos 1& 2 show front and side views of the mismatch at the rear of the filler panels @ the 1/4 window frames.
I determined it would be easy to fix this by making cuts as outline in ink in photo 3 and bending and filling the metal to shape.