since my last post, I've been running around in Mini Mouse. Been to Mini Meet East @ Sunday River, Maine. Mini World Magazine took photos there and featured it in the February 2009 issue.
On the last cruise of the year to Foxboro Stadium, a rear suspension bolt backed out and the wheel pulled out! Luckily I had just pulled out of a friend's driveway so damage was minimal, including damage to the CV, axle, and fender. Bummer!
The 304 sst exhaust system by Dave's Custom Creations, Charlton, Mass., came out beautifully - and on time! I put on a car show for Father's Day every year to raise funds for the local historical society and I was able to have the Mini there for its first time out of the barn. I also have a stock Mini van that i parked next to Mini Mouse ( re. Chevy motor) for everyone to compare. A few bugs to work out with the shifter and a few other minor items. Although it will never be 100 % completed. BTW, it was in the Project Garage section of the July issue of Hot Rod Magazine.
I modified the Tilton master (sold as a brake master) to fit, using the pushrod from the Mini master. The Tilton diameter is 0.70" versus the 0.75" for the Mini which means that the pedal swing had to be increased to compensate. And as the pedal was still very hard to push, I made it an inch longer as well as raised it about 2 inches. Now I can at least shift it and the car moves under its own power. Its now at Dave's Custom Creations for a complete 304 stainless exhaust system. I hope to be on the road by Fathers Day.
The new slave had no effect on shifting. Still a rock hard pedal and virtually no movement in the pressure plate. So I pull the tranny (this time leaving the engine in place). It looks like there is no travel room left for the pressure plate (see photo). So I remove the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel (not easy having used Loctite on all the bolts) and mailed them to Kennedy Engineering in California, who fabricated the parts in the first place. They tell me that the 3500 pound pressure plate works fine, and they can find no problem.
I also asked California Motor Products, who built the tranny, to review the whole setup for me. They told me to forget about converting to mechanical. It won't work! I'm running out of ideas and patience.
Everything is back together but still no clutch action. I have talked to every expert out there and received conflicting advice from all of them. So I've ordered a replacement slave cylinder with a smaller piston diameter. If that doesn't work, I will try converting the system to mechanical rather than hydraulic.