Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: mercmad63's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View mercmad63's profile Entries: 21
Views: 4440
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5

01-17-2010 12:51 AM An update
I've been messing about with the steering and i've been thinking about cowl steer. I have Mercedes W111 steering box i've converted and turned upside down .I'll have to get organized and make a bracket to hold it in place.

[Entry #21]

07-06-2008 01:23 AM a little primer.
I just sprayed some primer to make it all one color ..ha ha.
It's a 2K etch so it will protect the steel while I finish the chassis off.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #20]

07-05-2008 11:42 PM steel was thicker 70 years ago.
Trying to bang these dents out is pretty hard when the metal is so thick. I've managed to get it to the point where i can put some primer on it and get it looking like I am actually doing something on it..
Third pic shows a beak iron I had to make to get the swage lines straightened out. I turned down a piece of a sway bar . It's pretty tough spring steel and hitting with a hammer doesn't leave any marks .It certainly took some work to turn it down in the lathe . I can clamp it in the vice when hammer small panels or hold it against the job when cleaning up swage lines or floor beads.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #19]

07-05-2008 10:19 PM Whole lotta shakin goin on...
I've been shrinking out more dings in the body work. the cowl looked straight but as can be seen there were a few high spots. more like bulges that spots in fact.
the sides of the cowl have been bashed a lot when the car was raced on the dirt in the 50'-60's. The steel is mostly rust free but the stuff on them in the pictures is phosphoric acid which deoxidises the rust. i spent close to 12 hours getting the steel flat . The body is(was) a Australian Holden made item and chev was the biggest seller for them in that year.
The first pic shows the bulge that I had to flatten down on the front of the cowl .
The second picture shows a bulge in the top right . agan that phosphoric acid on the panels.
Third pic shows the panels back into a better looking condition.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #18]

06-29-2008 06:22 AM Before Chassis were boxed...
the trick was to double up on the rails in the Early 1920's. 1922 in fact.
Lots of pics of the cars here.
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...2029June%2008/

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5