Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Sly's 53 Suburban's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Sly's 53 Suburban's profile Entries: 121
Views: 63457
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (25): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

06-06-2009 06:33 PM Completed the side window installation
I completed the rear side window installation on 3 of the 4 windows. I searched for the proper technique and products to do the installation. I used Dow BETASEAL Express. It's my first installation using this method and I have some cleanup to do. Hopefully it will look professional when I'm totally finished. If not I'll take it to a glass shop and pay them to do it again. The windows in this Suburban have been almost enough to make me give up doing any more of my own projects. We'll see if I can keep up the motivation to complete this job or any others in the future? The tedious little finish items that I don't see any real progress have about finished me.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #121]

05-30-2009 09:52 AM Installing modified side windows
I need help with my 53 Suburban side window installation. I do not want to use H rubber to install the glass as seen on many other Suburban side glass installations. I had one piece replacement glass cut with the intention of using 3/8" butyl tape to set it to the window reveal around the pinch weld of my 1953 Chevy Suburban. The Suburban does not have a moulding like the 60's windshields to conceal the butyl from the sunlight and retain the glass. So the side edge (not the face against the pinch weld) would be exposed to sunlight. Is this a problem? The Suburban glass was not originally installed this way and does not have retaining clips. Will the pressure of the interior reveal moulding along with the butyl tape adhesion be sufficient in retaining the windows? I can adjust the tension slightly using rubber between the inner reveal and the glass for a little more tension. The first picture shows the inside reveal moulding and the second picture shows the outside reveal. I have posted this on the bulletin board for any one responding to the window installation. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/installing-53-suburban-modified-side-glass-159305.html

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #120]

05-17-2009 02:12 PM 53 Suburban sliding window installation
After much procrastination and after 9 months of thought, I have finally finished one sliding window installation. I've gone back and forth with window options for the rear side windows. I thought because of rarity I would install the original sliding windows in the rear four windows. After completing one of the four I've once again changed my mind. I'm removing the one completed window and I'm selling all the new glass, run channel, finger pulls and everything to do with the original glass. I am going to install one solid glass in each of the four window openings.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #119]

05-16-2009 08:41 PM Fixed pane glass and rubber seal
I finished the fixed pane glass and rubber seal on one window and have three windows to go. When all four windows are completed to this stage I will install the run channel and sliding glass.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #118]

05-16-2009 05:02 PM Fitting the run channel to the suburban
After building the jig and forming the run channel I next had to final fit the channel to the Suburban widow openings. The next challenge is to screw the top of the channel into its proper location. I will then place the sliding glass into the channel and position and fasten the channel to the Suburban.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #117]

Pages (25): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25