Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: bmar's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View bmar's profile Entries: 79
Views: 9047
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

08-29-2015 06:54 AM Vintage Air 3 knob controls
I had the problem with the lighting on my control knobs and later had problems with the knobs not working right.Vintage Air was the ones who gave me the part numbers for my AC system and I made it clear it was for a 1977 Corvette, which Vintage Air does not make a kit for because of the design of the factory controls. Found out on the Corvettefourm site that the 3 knob takes a different control panel on the evaporator then the controls on earlier Corvettes (a double wheel setup instead of slider controls). Interesting that I had to find this out on a Corvette forum instead of the sales and tech staff of Vintage Air. But they did send me the proper control panel (ECU) on their dime. Thank you Vintage Air.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #79]

08-25-2015 04:16 PM The AC hoses
Made up the AC hoses and tried to find someone around here ( in the middle of Western Montana) that could crimp the hoses for me, but no luck there. Called up Vintage Air and the closest dealer was Richmond Washington 350 miles away. The guy I talked to said NAPA does the hoses for Vintage Air but when I called the NAPA stores around here they had never heard of Vintage Air and most didn't do hydraulic lines at all. Called back and the next guy said to send them in and they would crimp the hoses for free I just pay the shipping. really? Wow. The hoses are on the way and I will have AC just about the time the weather turns cool here in Western Montana. We only get about two months of AC weather and even today is not hot enough to need the AC....the heater has been working for over a month and I have had this turned on several times now. Kind of cold driving around on an early Montana morning with the windows rolled down ( no center console so no window switches and also no T-Tops) so I fired up the heater.

[Entry #78]

08-25-2015 03:58 PM Fixed the cruise control today
I was having problems getting the cruise to work but I finally found out what the problem was. One of the sites I went to, while having problems with the cruise, said to be sure pin J, the inhibit from the ECU, was disconnected. This seemed logical to me to disconnect inhibit, right? Later I found I was missing one of the brake switch voltages and repaired this problem. Now I had voltage to the cruise module when the brake was engaged and voltage when the brake was disengaged, but the cruise still didn't work. Got to looking around the internet some more and found out only a few of the trucks can function without the inhibit connected. Mine is not a truck.... reconnected the inhibit and the cruise works fine.
First time the Corvette has been at the house in 2 months. There are still a few problems to work out, but mostly the Corvette is ready to go. I can say one thing for sure, the car is a lot more fun to drive then the old smog engine relic of the 1970's.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #77]

08-20-2015 09:51 PM Center console with radio
The Radio did fit just fine into the area now filled with the evaporator. I had to move some wires and slide the console up from the bottom, but the radio slide right in. The AC controls, the ones I had the light issue with, are not working right. The knob for the fan speed needs to be turned almost all the way counter-clockwise before the fans start. The center vents come on when the floor vent is selected and the floor vent is the center vent setting. The defrost does work right, however. I re-wired the lights, I guess I can rewire leads, going to the servos, also....it would be easier then pulling the dash back out and swapping the AC hoses. One of the instructions for the install stated to turn the knob clockwise to the left...not sure how I would pull that off.

[Entry #76]

08-20-2015 08:13 PM Serpentine Belt is getting the job done.
I had the belt that was too loose and gave me a front row seat of the pieces that came flying out while testing the accelerator pedal. The new and improved (shorter) belt fit on the Corvette tracks just fine and seems to have solved the problem. I had thought the crank pulley was the cause of the problem, but just couldn't see how something so stout could have moved. I am glad the belt fixed the problem as pulling the crank pulley would have been a major pain in the a**. Might be time to go out and test my accelerator pedal again.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #75]

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16